Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Mishpacha article on SIDS - do you have more info?

pinkbubbles

Post Tue, Apr 08 2008, 4:25 pm
Has anyone seen this article? I'm suprised it didn't get more attention.

It was about the real cause of SIDS- toxins in the mattress. I dont remember the name of the doctor who did the research. If I remember correctly it was about toxins that build up and stop the baby from breathing, and it is too young to wake up from it. He suggested buying mattresses without the chemicals.. or to put a cover on top of it to prevent the baby from breathing them. I think it also said newer mattresses are manufactured differently.

If anyone has more information on this subject, please help me out.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Apr 08 2008, 4:41 pm
I don't believe that's the "real cause" of SIDS. that article has circulated for a while, but I don't believe t until further research is done.

Marion

Post Wed, Apr 09 2008, 4:44 am
Don't most people put covers on the mattresses anyway? I know I do...it's much easier to toss a wet cover in the wash than to try to get stains and stuff out of the mattress.

boruchhashem

Post Wed, Apr 09 2008, 9:12 am
My dh researched SIDS when he was writing his term paper in medic school. There is NO KNOWN cause, or prevention for SIDS, hence the name sudden infant death sydrome. Only the one above can prevent it from happening. Of course we have to do our hishtadlus, but keep on praying. (remember what we learned about h-shem giving the malach hamavos his job, and he was upset sorta, but h-shem told him, don't worry, it will never be your fault.......)?

pinkbubbles

Post Wed, Apr 09 2008, 2:22 pm
Thanks for your replies.

Does anyone have the Dr's name?

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Mar 14 2010, 6:53 pm
Check out this site: http://www.prevent-sids.org/
The docs name is Dc. Sprott, seems like he did serious research and has data to prove it.
It seems in New Zealand there used to be one of highest rates of SIDS and since they publisized this mattress theory -not one baby with the cover died.

Quoted from site:
The Toxic Gas "Theory"
Like most people, you are probably wondering about now, why in the world you should trust this "theory" and what you are reading. After all, TONS of other websites by notorious doctors and even SIDS organizations do not accept this theory! Let me assure you that the toxic gas theory is not just a theory anymore; it is pretty well proven to be the cause of crib death. During the "BabeSafe Campaign" not ONE baby died of crib death who slept on a wrapped mattress. Do not take this information lightly. The BabeSafe Campaign has been under way for well over 12 years. That's right: in 12 YEARS not ONE baby has died on a wrapped mattress. It is estimated that 200,000 babies have slept on wrapped mattresses. With a moderate SIDS rate of 1/1000 babies, statistically 200 babies should have died!

Dunno know if I believe it or not, but it definately sounds like a serious theory... (tons more info. on the site.) I'm gonna by a mattress cover -it's just $30 to $40, and can't hurt!

Last edited by amother on Wed, Mar 13 2019, 4:38 pm; edited 2 times in total

imasinger

Post Sun, Mar 14 2010, 6:55 pm
Our pediatrician says quite strongly that the best SIDS prevention technique is to make sure that babies sleep on their backs.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Mar 14 2010, 7:01 pm
Acc. to this theory they say the reason for back sleeping prevents babies from inhaling the gases more than their stomaches.

Sleeping on backs has greatly reduced number of SIDS -but still many cases of SIDS that happened on their backs.

This doc. claims not even one of the thousands of babies that slept on this matress covers had SIDS.

He has a whole book about it... seems like a whole conspiracy with matress companies...
sounds interesting!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics