Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Shalom Zachor questions

levial

Post Sun, Mar 21 2010, 12:27 pm
So, B'H I'll go into the hospital on Weds...so the Shalom Zachar is this Friday.

Shalom Zachor is not really my husband's minhag, but we know it is our community's and I think it's lovely, so we're on board. But much like attending a brit vs planning one...I feel quite clueless. I have not attended one ever.

Since the house is almost completely KLP....(we are eating chametz just at the kitchen table, only have the stove/oven and counters to do, eating off of paper plates/etc) and I can't control what people may drop off (G-d willing that they drop off something) ....

Please remind me what I need to have/ and any tips for your experience managing such a thing a few days before Pesach. I plan to put things out in a room with hard wood floors that can be quickly cleaned.

1) Alcohol: I have two bottles for l'chayim; a KLP Slivovitz and a KLP Vodka). If someone brings something not KLP, we'll just have to dispose of it I suppose?
2.) Food: I know there should be chick peas - but what to do with them? Just cooked ones, or in a salad?
3.) Nosh: I understand there should be nuts - just a few cans of nuts? I have KLP ones (pecans, walnuts, etc) but nothing "cocktail" worthy. Thoughts welcome
4.) Cakes, etc. I anticipate some people may cook or buy...something may be chametz, I assume I just throw out or eat before Sunday?
5.) What does my husband have to do as host? (Should he have something dvar torah/ prepared? Should he ask someone to prepare a dvar torah? Or just pour the beverages?)
6.) Do people usually want to see the baby? or can we both hide in the other room? haha.

Thanks everyone, as you can tell, getting excited so managing anxiety with such questions.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Mar 21 2010, 2:55 pm
[quote="levial"]So, B'H I'll go into the hospital on Weds...so the Shalom Zachar is this Friday.
levial wrote:
Since the house is almost completely KLP....(we are eating chametz just at the kitchen table, only have the stove/oven and counters to do, eating off of paper plates/etc) and I can't control what people may drop off (G-d willing that they drop off something) ....

iT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE AT home, it can be at a friend's house or in shul.

levial wrote:

1) Alcohol: I have two bottles for l'chayim; a KLP Slivovitz and a KLP Vodka). If someone brings something not KLP, we'll just have to dispose of it I suppose?
2.) Food: I know there should be chick peas - but what to do with them? Just cooked ones, or in a salad?

Up to you about both. You can put out drinks and just mop afterwards. You prob. will anyway. Chickpeas need to e cooked and put out, but nothing fancy.

levial wrote:

3.) Nosh: I understand there should be nuts - just a few cans of nuts? I have KLP ones (pecans, walnuts, etc) but nothing "cocktail" worthy. Thoughts welcome

I never heard there had to be nuts. I just assume ppl serve such things as they go well with beer.

levial wrote:

4.) Cakes, etc. I anticipate some people may cook or buy...something may be chametz, I assume I just throw out or eat before Sunday?

It's pretty late for kids to come, who tend to be the cookie or muffin eaters; you don't have to put our cake or even much cake. Remember eveyrone just had their seudah. It's maminly men, who prefer the beer and crunchy foods.

levial wrote:

5.) What does my husband have to do as host? (Should he have something dvar torah/ prepared? Should he ask someone to prepare a dvar torah? Or just pour the beverages?)
6.) Do people usually want to see the baby? or can we both hide in the other room? haha.

Thanks everyone, as you can tell, getting excited so managing anxiety with such questions.

levial wrote:

THAT'S UP TO HIM . it's some men's nature to do that, others not.

levial wrote:

6.) Do people usually want to see the baby? or can we both hide in the other room?

If your friends come, and you're taking care of the baby, they might ask to see you both. YOu don't have to appear - not at the sholom zochor and not at the bris either. truly up to you.

chaylizi

Post Sun, Mar 21 2010, 3:05 pm
I've been to shalom zachors where neither the mother nor the baby were present. Some babies are born on Friday.

I was discharged on Friday morning. I sat on the couch for a little and socialized & then my mother invoked parental privilege & decided it was time to retire for the evening.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics