Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Breakfast for lactose intolerant 2 year old on pesach
Previous  1  2

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 7:48 am
I heard Rice Dr5eam is chometz

Barbara

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 7:57 am
6coop wrote:
gold21 wrote:
I know my mom has a recipe which includes soaking matza in water til soft and crumbly, adding eggs and salt, maybe some other stuff too, and frying in a pancake shape. yum. I will try to get you the recipe bli neder.

I make this all the time! We call it fried matzoh but most people call it matzoh brei. We eat it with jelly or syrup. It's very good and you can adjust the seasoning to any taste you want.
Soak the matzoh until soft and then add 1 egg for every two pieces of matzoh, add salt and whatever spices you want to taste- (I use onion powder) and then fry.

Are you my long lost sister that my parents never mentioned? Because you're the only other person I've met who calls it fried matzo.

Matzo granola:

Matzoh Farfel Granola Recipe (Total Preparation Time: 30 minutes; Active Work Time: 10 minutes)

2 cups matzoh farfel
1 cup unpeeled almonds, cut in half
1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup diced dried apricots

Instructions for the Matzoh Farfel Granola recipe:

1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius or Centigrade). Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly oil the foil.
2. Combine the farfel, almonds and coconut in a large bowl. Pour in the honey and oil and mix well. Spread the mixture on the baking sheet.
3. Bake until golden brown, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Transfer to a platter and cool. Add the raisins and apricots and toss well.

Makes about 4 cups of matzoh farfel granola.

Each 1/2 cup: Calories: 369; Sodium: 23 milligrams; Cholesterol: 0 milligrams; Fat: 18 grams; Saturated Fat: 3 grams; Carbohydrates: 49 grams; Protein: 7 grams; Fiber: 3.28 grams.

I don't use the coconut, because I don't like it.

notme

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 3:12 pm
Do you use potato starch? If so you can make crepes with egg potato starch and oil. (I think those are all the ingredients) You can serve it with scrambled eggs or cut up fruit. They're yummy and filling. If you want me to post a recipe let me know.

p.s I 'm pretty sure rice dream has barley or wheat in it.

torahtots

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 3:53 pm
I second the matza brei (you can make it with salt and pepper or with cinnamon and sugar, depending on what he likes) and matza meal pancakes. I also make mine with cottage cheese but here is a recipe for cheeseless from the same cookbook:

1/2 C matza meal
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
3 eggs, separated
3/4 C water or milk

Mix dry ingredients.
Beat egg yolks and add water.
Combine dry and wet ingreds. Let stand 15 min.
Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
Fry.
Serves 4-6

Because it is a patchke, I would make a big batch and keep them in the fridge and warm them up for breakfasts so you don't have to beat eggwhites and let it stand 15 min while he's waiting for breakfast.

Here is an easier, potato version:
2 C mashed potatoes
4 eggs, beaten
1 C cake meal
1/2 tsp salt
1 C water
oil

Mix all ingredients except oil. Fry in oil till brown on both sides. Serves 6.

You could also do just potato latkes.

There are many other pancake, roll, etc recipes in this cookbook. It's The Complete American-Jewish Cookbook by Anne London and Bertha Kahn Bishov. It was my grandmother's first cookbook, my momther's and then mine. It's a great basic cookbook.

Guess I will be making cheeseless pancakes this yr b/c my DD also has a problem with milk. Not sure if it's intolerance or allergy but it causes her constipation rather than diarrhea. It took us a year to sort it out b/c I switched her to soy milk which gave her the same problem. Now she drinks oat milk. We haven't tried almond milk but might buy some for Pesach. It's so hard b/c she loves cheese, yogurt, pizza, etc. Now I will every once in awhile let her have a little bit of dairy as a treat. So far so good B"H. I have also heard that goat milk can be tolerated by a lot of people who can't drink cow's milk. You can also get goat yogurt and goat cheese. It may be worth a try.

Mom2girls

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 4:37 am
try avocado, if it's soft you can spoon feed it (first cut in 1/2)
there is tofutti cream cheese too spread on matza, make sandwich
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics