Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
For mothers who had torah/tzizit cakes at the upsherin

shayna82

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 2:22 pm
how did you make it? did you make it from a pan?

im not creative, and I was wondering if someone made one straight from a torah shaped pan. did you get it done at th ebakery?

thanks!

hisorerus

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 3:18 pm
One way to make a Torah is to make a regular cake and 2 jelly rolls, one on each side. You can jam a lady finger or pretzel stick into the ends. You could also make "loaves" out of rice crispy treats.

A Tzitzis shaped cake is easy- make a rectangular or square cake, and cut out a half circle from one side.

yrs1025

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 3:33 pm
hisorerus wrote:
One way to make a Torah is to make a regular cake and 2 jelly rolls, one on each side. You can jam a lady finger or pretzel stick into the ends. You could also make "loaves" out of rice crispy treats.

A Tzitzis shaped cake is easy- make a rectangular or square cake, and cut out a half circle from one side.

For the Tzitzis cake, use Twizzlers Pull & Peel for the tzitzis.

shalhevet

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 3:40 pm
I made a tzitzis cake by making a square cake, then I put actual white threads (knotted) in two corners and iced it with parev cream which stuck the 'tzitzis' on. I used melted chocolate to make two stripes and write on "___________ ben shalosh". If I can do it, anyone can ....

newmom

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 3:45 pm
You can also make a Yamulke cake if you want to. Just buy a bowl shaped cake mold (easy to find), and then decorate!

hisorerus

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 3:48 pm
Rice Crispy Treats are also good for that, if you want, and you don't even need a mold!

Tefila

Post Tue, May 16 2006, 5:24 pm
Quote:
One way to make a Torah is to make a regular cake and 2 jelly rolls, one on each side. You can jam a lady finger into the ends.

Ditto then I added in the whole alef beis first kid I batched up so I had to cream again and then I now do it via a stencil which I made Very Happy

For tzizis I just made their loot bags with string white paper bags from any bakery and draw two lines on bag, punch holes in corners for white yarn, and fill ....... viola tzizis loot bags Tongue Out

shayna82

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 12:39 pm
thanks everyone for your replies. my sister just picked up in crown heights for me a siddur cake mold just for upsherins. so I guess im gonna make that.
it calls for a layer cake recipe, anyone know anythign about that?

chen

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 1:51 pm
just use your favorite cake recipe. there's nothing special about a 'layer cake'.

to make sure your recipe will fit in the pan, measure the volume of the pan (fill a measuring cup with water, dump into the pan, and repeat till the pan is full. mark down what the total volume was). Do the same thing with your regular cake pan.

1. If the volumes are about the same, you can use your cake recipe as is. 2. If your regular cake pan is much bigger, either make half the recipe, or else fill the specialty pan as far as possible and pour the rest of the batter into another small pan or muffin tin.
3. If your regular cake pan is much smaller, make twice the recipe.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics