Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Why won't my challah dough rise?

6coop

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 10:37 am
I've been baking challah for years and have never had any problem. A few months ago, all of a sudden, my challah dough stopped rising well! I thought it was my yeast so I bought a new package and it still didn't rise well. I used to just throw all of the ingredients in together but now I started mixing the yeast seperately and it's bubbling fine, but my dough is still not rising well. I made the dough 2 hours ago and it has barely risen! What am I doing wrong?

Tamiri

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 10:39 am
Have you moved? I was having trouble after my move from the U.S. to Israel.

6coop

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 10:46 am
Tamiri wrote:
Have you moved? I was having trouble after my move from the U.S. to Israel.

Nope. I was wondering if it might be something environmental, but nothing has changed.

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 10:48 am
She may not have moved, but the weather has changed.

Why not try doing an overnight rise in the fridge for next time?

Tamiri

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 10:50 am
Well, I will share the tip given to me when I was having trouble, anyway. It may help you.
Before making the dough as usual, take the yeast+1T sugar+water+around 3.5 cups of flour and mix them together. Let them sit to form a "sponge", about 30-45 minutes depending on the temperature in the kitchen. Afterward, mix in the remaining ingredients adding the salt after kneading the dough for a few minutes. Then, proceed as normal. Make sure the dough rises double, form the loaves and let them rise, then bake. This tip, from a semi-professional, did the trick for my lethargic dough.

kitov

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 10:51 am
What kind of salt do you use and what temp is your water that you use?
Try putting the dough in the oven on less than 200 degrees. Check what happens then.

Tamiri

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 10:53 am
OP wrote she's been baking successfully for years, and nothing has changed....... but obviously something has. Tell me, are you baking when you are a nidda? I heard that can cause problems with the dough Rolling Laughter

kitov

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 10:57 am
Debbie Heller, the popular challah expert, syas challah dough has feelings and detects your moods. A sour mom will produce a lethargic dough, and a peppy mom a fluffy one.

Hey Tamiri, maybe you're onto somethin' here.

B"H

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 10:58 am
kitov wrote:
What kind of salt do you use and what temp is your water that you use?
Try putting the dough in the oven on less than 200 degrees. Check what happens then.

I'm also having issues with my dough rising, though I haven't been baking for years, so maybe I'm just doing something wrong, but my dough has risen plenty of times- till recently. I like this idea, I'm gonna try it.

Tamiri

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 11:02 am
kitov wrote:
Debbie Heller, the popular challah expert, syas challah dough has feelings and detects your moods. A sour mom will produce a lethargic dough, and a peppy mom a fluffy one.

Heh heh. Okay, OP, how has your life been lately? Has anything changed. Come, tell us all about it. We'll allow Amother.

kitov

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 11:03 am
Tamiri wrote:
kitov wrote:

Heh heh. Okay, OP, how has your life been lately? Has anything changed. Come, tell us all about it. We'll allow Amother.

She probably hosted a non-refraining guest recently. That can definitely do it.

6coop

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 11:09 am
kitov wrote:
Tamiri wrote:
kitov wrote:

She probably hosted a non-refraining guest recently. That can definitely do it.

I'm just as cranky as I always am! Wink

Liba

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 11:19 am
I would try peheating your oven to 200, turning it off and putting the dough in in a metal bowl to rise.

Normal things to keep it from rising or rising well, bad yeast, too hot water, dough too cold, too much salt, or no sugar.

I hope you figure it out!

louche

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 1:37 pm
Are you storing your flour in the freezer or fridge? If so, let the flour come to room temp before using. Cold flour will [slow person] rising. If the rising is slow because of cold ingredients, give it time. The dough will eventually rise but it could take more time than you have. I've rescued barely-rising dough by kneading more yeast right in with my hands.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics