Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Is it polite to serve edges?

didan

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 6:23 pm
B"H

If you're serving an elegant dinner/meal/dessert or what not, do you trim off the edges before slicing, I.e. a kugel or cake?

I always trim edges. Two reasons:

1) It's not polite to serve edges Smile (so we just eat them instead).
2) (This fits in with the second half of #1) I need to make sure I'm not poisoning anyone, so it needs to be tasted.

When I was dieting, this was a big challenge...so I changed my policy and started serving edges. It lasted for about 2 weeks:)

carrot

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 6:29 pm
Edges taste the best!!! Of course they should be reserved for hard working kitchen staff. Very Happy

(Never thought of it as not polite to serve, though I can see how it's not the most elegant.)

Last edited by carrot on Thu, May 18 2006, 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

shoy18

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 6:35 pm
the best part is the edges!!!!!

Meema2Kids

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 6:36 pm
I don't serve edges for a fancy meal/event either. Tongue Out

DefyGravity

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 6:50 pm
I've never heard of this before! I love the edges, it always tastes the best. I'd be so annoyed if I heard that they were put to waste! (Or I would sneak the edges from the kitchen).

Tefila

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 7:58 pm
Quote:
I don't serve edges for a fancy meal/event either.

Ditto Tongue Out True ettiquette Tongue Out the ones that don't serve must be Brits Wink

goldrose

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 8:12 pm
sounds like the kind of diet I have, too.

chen

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 9:42 pm
In my book, it's impolite not to--the crust is the best part. AAMOF, a friend of mine makes her kugel in two pans, so it's very thin, and there is plenty of crust for everyone!

And on an iced cake, the edges have the most icing and are therefore the best part, too.

Meema2Kids

Post Fri, May 19 2006, 8:04 am
The edges may taste the best, but they don't look as nice as the inside pieces.

chen

Post Fri, May 19 2006, 8:10 am
So? are you concerned with feeding your guests a delicious meal, or with making a fancy impression? Yechi HaRoshem?

granolamom

Post Fri, May 19 2006, 8:45 am
I serve the nice looking pieces first and then the edges when the serving plate is in need of refill. but I never serve the edges of the potato kugel. I save those for dh

queen

Post Fri, May 19 2006, 10:09 am
many times the edges are what I taste, but LOL, never knew it was not proper serving them.... Very Happy

DefyGravity

Post Fri, May 19 2006, 10:11 am
All you people that don't serve edges, are you the same people that make up the plates in the kitchen and then serve people the portions that YOU want?

cindy324

Post Fri, May 19 2006, 10:28 am
Quote:
All you people that don't serve edges, are you the same people that make up the plates in the kitchen and then serve people the portions that YOU want?

LOL Defy, that's such a pet peeve of mine! I hate giving my guests ready made plates. It's so "feeding the kids supper" like! I like serving everything in the middle of the table, and everybody help themselves!

DefyGravity

Post Fri, May 19 2006, 10:33 am
I hate it when people do that, b/c oftentimes I don't get enough of what I like, and too much of what I don't like.

granolamom

Post Fri, May 19 2006, 10:38 am
I serve family style, but still don't like to put the less attractive pieces on the serving plate. I usually serve dessert on individual plates though. with additional fruit/cake whatever on the table.

carrot

Post Fri, May 19 2006, 12:00 pm
chen wrote:
Yechi HaRoshem?

What does that mean?

rosehill

Post Fri, May 19 2006, 12:31 pm
Can you imagine our grandmothers having this conversation?
They would be so happy just to have enough food to feed their families, never mind enough to serve to guests!!!
I can't imagine them worrying about serving edges.

shoy18

Post Fri, May 19 2006, 12:41 pm
Ok Im sorry everyone but I do serve full plates, only friday night, I obviously ask people what they'd like before I serve. But always put extras on the table for anyone to take what they want. This is how my mother does it, its so much better presented that way.

chen

Post Fri, May 19 2006, 12:48 pm
carrot wrote:
chen wrote:
Yechi HaRoshem?

What does that mean?

Literally, "Long Live the Impression"-- a mildly cynical expression for things that are done solely for the sake of impressing people.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen