Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Lighting candles with paraffin

Kivi's Mommy

Post Fri, Mar 26 2010, 1:34 am
Does anyone use those glass holders with the hole to pour in paraffin wax or oil?

How much paraffin should be in the glasses? How long should the wick be? You can just keep using the same wick? I wish they came with a little more detailed instructions. Please help!

Thanks.

Tamiri

Post Fri, Mar 26 2010, 2:06 am
I use them and actually have a little business selling them (in Israel).
I use the twisted candles, that look like a flame. I pour in oil less than 1/3 of the way up and it's more than enough for Friday night. The oil burns out, and you pour in some more oil next time you use the candles. The wicks last for years. Very important: they should be just about 2 mm above the lip of the candle. They flame should not be big. Don't touch the wick with your fingers unless they are very clean because the oil in your fingers can damage the wick. Don't use any other oil besides paraffin in these candles or you will ruin them.
Good luck and enjoy!

su7kids

Post Fri, Mar 26 2010, 9:26 am
I use them all the time. There are two kinds of candle oil available, and you MUST get the one which is odorless and smokeless.

I usually fill the oil up to the hole, and it does help to fill it a bit of time before lighting so the oil soaks UP the wick and then I light all 9 candles with one match!!! (Chik chak!)

The wicks are fiber glass and made to be non=consumable.

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, Mar 26 2010, 9:57 am
I usually fill mine until the 'chimney' where the wick comes out.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Apr 13 2010, 9:58 am
I don't mean this as a criticism, but I have always wondered why people would light with paraffin when there is a hidur to light with olive oil (and with all the warnings about paraffin being poisonous if consumed)?

Tamiri

Post Tue, Apr 13 2010, 10:49 am
OOTBubby wrote:
I don't mean this as a criticism, but I have always wondered why people would light with paraffin when there is a hidur to light with olive oil (and with all the warnings about paraffin being poisonous if consumed)?
Well, I personally don't plan on drinking paraffin oil anytime soon. I never lit with olive oil besides Chanuka and never heard of anyone doing it until recently. Olive oil smells, is smoky and leaves a residue. Paraffin oil is odorless, burns clean and leaves none/barely any residue. In addition to which, you can use the same wick for years. With olive oil you have to replace the wick after every use. Also, the paraffin oil is just plain pretty.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Apr 13 2010, 12:41 pm
I meant the fact that when there are children (or grandchildren) around you need to be concerned about the fact that it is poisonous.

While you're right about the wicks, I've found that as long as a reasonable quality (nothing near top quality, just average) olive oil is used, there virtually no smoke or smell (other than a small bit right when it goes out).

And there are many hiddurim (I'm not an expert in that, I'm sure someone here has or can comment better on that) to lighting with olive oil (some I think relate to ehrlich children, bnei Torah, etc.).

campmommy

Post Tue, Apr 13 2010, 12:47 pm
You're absolutely right that it's mehudar to light with olive oil. But it's a hiddur, not halacha, so since the parrafin oil gives such a beautiful, clean flame many of us feel that it's also a beutiful thing to light with. As far as dangerous, it is VERY dangerous, so to all of you who use it, please keep it together with your poisounous cleaning products, locked and high and out of sight. (Believe me, I'm talking from experience - B"H all's well that ends well, but that was a neis!)

Tamiri

Post Tue, Apr 13 2010, 12:53 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I meant the fact that when there are children (or grandchildren) around you need to be concerned about the fact that it is poisonous.

While you're right about the wicks, I've found that as long as a reasonable quality (nothing near top quality, just average) olive oil is used, there virtually no smoke or smell (other than a small bit right when it goes out).

And there are many hiddurim (I'm not an expert in that, I'm sure someone here has or can comment better on that) to lighting with olive oil (some I think relate to ehrlich children, bnei Torah, etc.).
My kids aren't going to be drinking it either. What, you don't have bleach/ammonia/cleaning fluids in the house? We do. BTW my paraffin bottles come with a "safety cap", not that it's a deterrent when a determined child is involved, as studies have shown, but then you run the same risk with the a/m products and meds. If you are lighting with food-grade olive oil, there is no risk. If you are using specific shemen zayit lemaor (lamp olive oil) it also states a caution that it's not to be ingested.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Apr 13 2010, 12:56 pm
Tamiri wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:

My kids aren't going to be drinking it either. What, you don't have bleach/ammonia/cleaning fluids in the house? We do. BTW my paraffin bottles come with a "safety cap", not that it's a deterrent when a determined child is involved, as studies have shown, but then you run the same risk with the a/m products and meds. If you are lighting with food-grade olive oil, there is no risk. If you are using specific shemen zayit lemaor (lamp olive oil) it also states a caution that it's not to be ingested.

Yes, you're right. I know that in the US most people do use food-grade olive oil as lamp olive oil is smokey and smellier. And certainly any cleaning product is a risk if not stored properly. It is just that I have read numerous warnings published about the paraffin because of problems that have happened with children ingesting it.

Merrymom

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 11:27 pm
Speak to hatzolah, kids are very tempted by paraffin for some reason. It's just no worth it. Those small 4 or 6 hour candles burn beautifully and are a great alternative.

momto4

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 7:12 pm
my son drank the paraffin oil on erev yom kippur. he mamash took a drop and he ended up in the hospital with pneumonia. it was very scary. since then I use candles. just be careful.

Pizza

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 1:11 am
Tamiri wrote:
I use them and actually have a little business selling them (in Israel).
I use the twisted candles, that look like a flame. I pour in oil less than 1/3 of the way up and it's more than enough for Friday night. The oil burns out, and you pour in some more oil next time you use the candles. The wicks last for years. Very important: they should be just about 2 mm above the lip of the candle. They flame should not be big. Don't touch the wick with your fingers unless they are very clean because the oil in your fingers can damage the wick. Don't use any other oil besides paraffin in these candles or you will ruin them.
Good luck and enjoy!

Maybe you can give me some advice - I find that the wicks need to be pulled up a mm or so, every few weeks - so they dont really last more than a year. Also, the rubber stopper/cork that secures the glass holders, doesnt fit securely in my leichter, and I have to use glue to keep them safely secured. After a month or two, if I want to clean my leichter, and take out the glass holder, the plug has swollen a bit, and is very slippery, so its even harder to get it back in. Any suggestions for these issues? Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics