Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Email etiquette question

amother

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 9:39 am
I needed a certain document emailed to me. I didn't expect to receive it immediately but it sounded like the kind of thing they can take care of quickly. It's been a few hours and I haven't received it. How long should I wait before I call back and ask what happened? (one reason I am concerned is because I have a character in my email address and I'm always afraid people will miss it and then it goes to the wrong person.)

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 9:42 am
cant hurt to check

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 9:58 am
From my experience, if it's from a busy office, it can take a few hours, as they don't do it right away, but put it on their to do list.

My other suggestion would be to get an address that isn't so complicated.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 10:51 am
In another thread somebody (?) discussed email ettiquitte.
I'm embarrassed that I don't know what she meant by "make sure not to click reply to all".
Can anyone please enlighten me?

I was happy to see this thread as I thought that there were other clueless amothers out there. Wink

louche

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 10:55 am
amother wrote:
I'm embarrassed that I don't know what she meant by "make sure not to click reply to all".

I was happy to see this thread as I thought that there were other clueless amothers out there. Wink

When you reply to an email, there's usually a choice: reply, reply to all, forward, delete. If an email was sent to a distribution list and you click "reply to all," your response will go to everyone on the list, not just to the sender of the message. so if you're responding to your best friend's invite to her anniversary party saying "I'd love to come but I'm in my first trimester and have been put on bedrest," you don't want that going to all 150 people she invited...

amother

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 10:58 am
life'sgreat wrote:
From my experience, if it's from a busy office, it can take a few hours, as they don't do it right away, but put it on their to do list.

thanks-- it is a busy office and this is what I assumed. I am just eager to get it but I think I'll wait until the end of the day to be a nudge.

And my email isn't difficult- my name with a dot between first and last- but still, if someone isn't paying attention or the phone connection is bad its easy to miss

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 12:53 pm
attached documents take longer to receive; speciallyif they are behind a firewall and most certainly if yuou are.

merelyme

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 1:08 pm
amother wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:

thanks-- it is a busy office and this is what I assumed. I am just eager to get it but I think I'll wait until the end of the day to be a nudge.

And my email isn't difficult- my name with a dot between first and last- but still, if someone isn't paying attention or the phone connection is bad its easy to miss

Instead of giving them your e-mail address, you can ask for theirs and e-mail them your request. That way they just have to click reply.
(Send it with a "request read receipt." If you don't get one pretty soon, call and ask them if they got your e-mail.)

amother

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 4:12 pm
louche wrote:
amother wrote:

When you reply to an email, there's usually a choice: reply, reply to all, forward, delete. If an email was sent to a distribution list and you click "reply to all," your response will go to everyone on the list, not just to the sender of the message. so if you're responding to your best friend's invite to her anniversary party saying "I'd love to come but I'm in my first trimester and have been put on bedrest," you don't want that going to all 150 people she invited...

Thanks Louche!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette