Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Infant can't seem to clear his nose

cdawnr

Post Wed, Apr 28 2010, 9:59 am
My 7 week old can't seem to clear his nose. He sneezes "empty" quite frequently and then once every 36 hours or so he sneezes a pea size green snot ball out (sorry, no idea of a better term). A few days ago there was one from each side!

I mentioned it to the doc when I took my girls in for something else, but since it wasnt' his appointment I couldn't spend much time on it. She recommended the mouth tube suction peice, rather than the bulb and to saline him 3-4 times a day and if it isn't better in a week to see doc about possible sinus infection (even at his young age since both girls have had colds).

But I am a little freaked as twice now he got real fussy and seemed to be having a little bit of difficulty breathing until I suctioned him.

HAS ANYONE EVER HAD SIMILAR WITH AN INFANT THIS SMALL?

My intuition is that it isn't an infection but a problem pysiologically with clearing his nose, but I could totally be making up a condition.

Tech_mom

Post Wed, Apr 28 2010, 11:01 am
have you been using saline? if not, try that.
my pediatrician told me (when my child had RSV at a very young infant age -and was hospitalized) that infants are "obligate nose breathers" until about 6 months. anyway I can see that this isn't your first child, but if you think that the baby is having trouble breathing go to the Dr. again.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Apr 28 2010, 11:03 am
If you're nursing, get some of your milk in his nose. It really helps.
My daughter who is the same age also goes through this at times. I wouldn't worry too much as long as they seem well oxygenated (no retractions, skin is normal color) and don't have a fever...

gold21

Post Wed, Apr 28 2010, 11:11 am
could it be an allergy?

hadasa

Post Wed, Apr 28 2010, 11:18 am
One of my kids had a chronically stuffy nose until I had her tested for allergies at 4 months old. She was allergic to chocolate in my milk, and as soon as I cut it out she started breathing easily. If I would eat just one square, after a few hours you'd hear the noisy breathing again.

cdawnr

Post Wed, Apr 28 2010, 11:18 am
It's just weird when a baby does something non of your other kids did. He's number 4 but he's just really different.
Thanks for answering what seems a simple question.

joeysmom

Post Wed, Apr 28 2010, 11:24 am
my dd had s/t similar. my dr. checked the measurements of her inner nostrils and one was smaller than the other so she had trouble breathing with the slightest stuffed nose. I just need to suction and keep clean. btw, now that I am thinking about it, by 6-7 months it got much better and I didn't have to suction as much.

cdawnr

Post Wed, Apr 28 2010, 11:28 am
joeysmom wrote:
my dd had s/t similar. my dr. checked the measurements of her inner nostrils and one was smaller than the other so she had trouble breathing with the slightest stuffed nose. I just need to suction and keep clean. btw, now that I am thinking about it, by 6-7 months it got much better and I didn't have to suction as much.

Thank you, this answer makes me feel less like I am imagining something.

Can I hurt him by suctioning too often or too hard?

joeysmom

Post Wed, Apr 28 2010, 11:41 am
I suctioned 2-3 times a day and shpritzed her nose with with a saline drip (instead of the steroid prescription ones). if she was still uncomfortable then I used nasonex or afrin (u need rx for that).

also u can try to elevate the baby's mattress and make it on an angle (we put a small wedge under the mattress). a hot mist might help too - if the air he's breathing is too cold, it might be irritating.

good luck
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics