Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Social Security

supermom

Post Fri, May 19 2006, 5:32 am
My ss is in my maidin name does anyone know how I can change it to my married name? What do I have to bring down to the american embassy? What happens with working? Would the IRS except my maidin name and let me work under it until my married name gets on the ss number.

The american embassy doesn't answer and I am starting to work on MONDAY!!! help!!!

rosehill

Post Fri, May 19 2006, 7:00 am
www.ssa.gov

gali

Post Fri, May 19 2006, 4:24 pm
supermom, I recently got this done too. I didnt go to the American embassy, I just went down to the social security office. You can click on the link rosehill gave and find the nearest one.
You dont need to make an appointment, just show up and bring with you:
Your marriage certificate and an idea with your maiden name on it (like your passport). You will have to fil out a form too. You can do it there, or fill it out at home, it should be on the site and then bring it with you.
They'll mail you your new SS card within 2 weeks.About working, once I got my new card, I told my boss and he changed it in the records for tax iinformation. I didnt have a problem with that, and I was working previously with my maiden name because I hadnt yet legally changed it. I dont think you'll have a problem with the IRS because you had to work under your maiden name if you handt legally changed it with the SS card. But when your get your new card, show it to your boss. It worked out find, dont worry, its not a big deal.

LoveMy2Kids

Post Fri, May 19 2006, 4:43 pm
It is not a problem to work under your maiden name until you legally change your name. You should file your tax return under your maiden name as well (unless you change it before tax time). As gali said changing your name is not a big deal. It took me all of 15 minutes at my local SS office. G'luck!

Mommy912

Post Fri, May 19 2006, 6:12 pm
You do not get a new Social Security number - so prob. all will be fine.
Congrats on the new job - is it a chocolaty one?

supermom

Post Sun, May 21 2006, 8:18 am
thanks everyone for your help I went on the site and got an application. I need to go to the american embassy since I am in israel unless anyone knows of an office here in israel.

It is not for the chocolate LOL it is for another job that I want to do but need my ss#

queen

Post Tue, May 23 2006, 8:32 am
just changed my SS name yesterday... and was exactly as mentioned above. bring marriage certificate, and drivers license (or other ID) and in no time the change was done. In america they said within a week the new card should arrive. cost- was none.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics