Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
How do you spice your chicken soup?
Previous  1  2  3

MrsMom

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 12:01 pm
mom71 wrote:
whenever I let my soup simmer for a long time (over 2 hours) there is hardly any soup left. What do you do? add more water? Then I have to add more spices?

Make a bigger soup? I use a huge pot and simmer for much mmore than 2. I dont lose much.

msctwg

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 12:29 pm
I can't give you exact measurements as to how many vegtables or chicken, I use, but there is a spice called chawayeg (yeminite soup spice)...the result is amazing!! I think it is tumeric mixed with cumin. but the longer I cook it the better it comes out. definately. I have never heard of garlic though, I think it is worth a try.ausome to hear about all the ways of making one simple dish. thanks everyone!

Shalshelet

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 7:22 pm
mom71 wrote:
whenever I let my soup simmer for a long time (over 2 hours) there is hardly any soup left. What do you do? add more water? Then I have to add more spices?

Make sure you cover it tightly and put the flame on very, very low.

msym

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 8:44 pm
cinnamon wrote:
mine doesn't come out that tasty.
I'm trying to avoid chicken soup mix but if that the only thing that can make it good I'll use it.
What spices do you put in your chicken soup? (and if possible how much of each)

I use about 6 peeled garlics,2 bay leefs, about a TBSP of kosher salt and about 15 peppercorns. I also use a bunch of parsley if im in the mood of checking it.

gold21

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 8:56 pm
we love our chicken soup. it consists of: zuchinni, carrots, sweet potato, parsnip, onion, frozen garlic clove, chicken breast, and salt. it is extremely flavorful. I put in A LOT of veggies so that theres basically no room left in the pot. as the water cooks away I add more water. I let it cook and simmer for a long time. it cooks/simmers for about four hours. then I let it sit for about an hour til it cools. then I put it in the fridge and the flavors blend together. then it gets reheated. Thats it. Basically, use LOTS of veggies and LOTS of salt and let the flavors simmer/ blend together for a LONG time and your soup will be awesome.

mosma

Post Fri, May 07 2010, 6:52 am
My soup is AMAZING.
I put it up first thing Friday morning and leave it up all day, but if I don't think I'll have time I put it up Thursday night and leave it on a low fire until shabbos starts.
Anything I don't eat with the soup (like the bones, turnip, dill, etc, I put into a net and take that out before shabbos starts).
I put in:
bones or chicken wings (wings are cleaner)
fresh dill
fresh parsley
a bay leaf
zuchinni
celery
carrots
turnip
parsnip
onion
sweet potato (this is a secret ingredient. makes the soup golden and delicious!)
kohlrabi
celery root
lots of salt
black pepper

comes out AMAZING!

cinnamon

Post Sat, May 08 2010, 11:24 pm
Wow this got almost as much replies as the frikkin skirt thread and with no name calling! Smile

Thanks everyone!
Here is what I did at the end:
I used bones of one chicken including the wings and neck, onion, cloves of half a garlic, potatoes, carrots, zucchini, celery root and dill. I added salt and pepper and let it cook for five hours (three just the chicken and two with the veggies) It came out better but not perfect.
Next time I think I'll cook it for even longer and with everything in it for the whole time. I'll add more salt and also a sweet potato.
Thanks again everyone! with your help I'll eventually get to great soup Smile
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics