Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Daughter scared of air condition sounds

bnm

Post Mon, May 03 2010, 2:40 am
in order to get her to sleep I had to close the AC in my room till she fell asleep..... its in middle of the night and she woke up somehow and it took an hour for her to go back to sleep..........ARGH is there anything that I can do to get her not to be frightened from air conditioner, vacuum, blender and food processor noises?!?!?!?

Mrs.K

Post Mon, May 03 2010, 2:53 am
How old is she?

This may sound really weird, but maybe if you tape different color tissue paper lines from the top of the vents hanging down, so that when you turn it on the different colors fly up...maybe she can focus on how pretty it is, rather then scary?

smileyface1

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 2:20 pm
bnm wrote:
in order to get her to sleep I had to close the AC in my room till she fell asleep..... its in middle of the night and she woke up somehow and it took an hour for her to go back to sleep..........ARGH is there anything that I can do to get her not to be frightened from air conditioner, vacuum, blender and food processor noises?!?!?!?

This sounds sooo familiar. My oldest had the same thing. I was told that he will out grow it. get him immune to it.... In the end I found out that he has major sensory issues (I had him evaluated for other things and the therapist brought this to my attention. one of the signs of sensory is being petrified of noises from household machinery, lawn mowers, trucks....) He got OT and got much better. he's eight now and still has some fears to certain noises, like jumps when he hears an unfamiliar sound but he's much better.
does you dd also have issues with wearing short sleeves? that may also be a sign of sensory issues. try to ger her evaluated. it will be a great help to her and to you. you'll be able to get some "cool" sleep in an ac room.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics