Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Donate blood to get out of jury duty?
Previous  1  2

dollhouse

Post Fri, Jan 08 2010, 11:38 am
chocolate moose wrote:
You also have to weigh at least 115 lbs to give blood.

Halevy that should be my problem Wink

greenfire

Post Fri, Jan 08 2010, 12:27 pm
I've got plenty of bloody tampons Twisted Evil

greenfire

Post Fri, Jan 08 2010, 12:30 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
You dont get paid anywhere for donating blood.

sure you do - I've done it ... plasma too !!!

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 10:44 am
greenfire wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:
You dont get paid anywhere for donating blood.

sure you do - I've done it ... plasma too !!!

In some places you are, in some places you aren't.

Here you're just given a good meal, except we Jews can't eat it anyway. And there are many many causes that make you unable to donate blood by here.

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 10:53 am
I've donated and was never paid for it. If you donate through Chai lifeline, they tell you the name of the child who will get your blood. I like that. I wonder if you can donate while nursing a toddler? I certainly weigh enough.

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 10:54 am
I just reread my post. I didn't mean that I would nurse while they take the blood. I just meant that I haven't weaned him yet.

lamplighter

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 1:08 pm
thank you all for reminding me to donate blood again. It's been a long while. I really enjoy the mitzvah. Anyone know if you can donate while you have your period?
And nope I've never had the weight issue Wink

greenfire

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 1:13 pm
they probably don't want my anemic blood now ... and ladies keep in mind that if you eat anything with poppy seeds it will show up as OPIUM in your blood Drunken Smile

mandksima

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 1:21 pm
greenfire wrote:
they probably don't want my anemic blood now ... and ladies keep in mind that if you eat anything with poppy seeds it will show up as OPIUM in your blood Drunken Smile

Yeah, I've been anemic since my last pregnancy and I don't think I can give now. I have given often though in the past and I never knew a place that paid. Free cookies and juice that was kosher usually at the hospitals.

jflower

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 6:24 pm
Chai Lifeline is also a resource for anyone who wants to donate whole blood or platelets. They have a list of patients who need donations and you can tell them when you're available to donate.

mrsERK

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 6:37 pm
lamplighter wrote:
Anyone know if you can donate while you have your period?

Technically speaking you can donate while you have your period but you are more likely to test anemic and if that is the case they wont let you donate.

chaylizi

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 6:43 pm
I have never had a high enough hemoglobin to be allowed to donate.

I have also never been called for jury duty. I don't know what list they use to pull people (I thought it was voter registration- but I have been registered since 2000.), but I am apparently not special enough for them to use on a jury.

nylon

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 7:24 pm
There are guidelines surrounding paying for donation. If the place pays, it can't be used for donating to another person, just for research.

Jury pools are selected from voter registration, DMV records, and tax rolls.

louche

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 7:51 pm
nylon wrote:

Jury pools are selected from voter registration, DMV records, and tax rolls.

and it's a random cattle call. it may not seem that way what with some people getting called every 2 years like clockwork and others never being called their entire life, but it is just the luck of the draw. what's not random is once you're empanelled, whether or not you're selected for a jury. the lawyers are looking for certain types and certain answers, and if you don't match what they want, you're off.

jury rejects, don't feel bad: you could simply be smarter or more knowledgeable than the lawyer wants. or even better-looking! If the case involves let's say something like a model vs. a photographer, the lawyer could be looking for plain-faced women who might have less sympathy for a beautiful model than good-looking women might have.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries