Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Ideas for day-trip w. kids near 5 Towns?

4Sisters

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 10:36 pm
We live OOT and will be in NY for the weekend. Staying w. family in Lawrence, and looking for something fun for my girls (ages 14, 12, 7 and 4) to do on Friday. We have been already to the Science Museum in Queens and the LI Children's Museum. Not too interested in the zoo.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! I would rather not go into Manhattan.

Thanks!

4Sisters

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 1:44 pm
Here are my ideas so far. If anyone has a thought, I'd love to hear it! Thanks Smile

Long Island Game Farm in Manorville
http://www.longisland.com/www_.....m.com

Fun Station USA in Lynnebrook:
http://www.funstationfun.com/

Fun Zone, Farmingdale:
http://www.funzoneamusements.com/rides.html

Museum of the Moving Image in Queens
http://queens.about.com/cs/mus.....e.htm
(I went there and loved it, but I think it might be easier w. a second adult to keep the younger ones occupied with the activities that are at their levels)

madys

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 1:55 pm
If you like nature - there's Hempstead Lake State Park, Planting Fields Arboretum, and Sands Point Nature Preserve

We went to the last 2 over Chol Hamoed and really enjoyed them (my kids are 11,9,&6)

www.discoverlongisland.com is a website with lots of information on Long Island

6coop

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 2:30 pm
There's also the Tanglewood Nature Preserve which is much smaller than Sands Point, but it has an Amazing Animal Exhibit going on there now (exotic reptiles and some birds and other animals). It's also much closer to the five towns.

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 3:17 pm
White Post farms - google it! You can feed animals, some bouncy rides, etc.

shaindifer

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 4:06 pm
Have you been to the Jewish Children's Museum in Brooklyn? Very nice!

4Sisters

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 4:28 pm
Yes, we've been to the Jewish Children's Museum. Fun, but the older ones would not be so happy to go back.

They're not so into nature, so not sure about the other suggestions, but thank you for the ideas!

shaindifer

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 5:32 pm
How about the beach (Atlantic Beach)? It's not too warm so there are no women in bathing suits but if your kids like playing in the sand and having a picnic, it's fun (and cheap!). My kids are younger than your older ones so I don't know if they'd be into that. How about the NY Aquarium? (or is that in same category as the zoo?)

shluchamom

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 6:37 pm
theres a pump it up place that opened recently in 5 towns that most of your children if not all depending on your oldest preferences would enjoy.

there is a mini golf - arcade place on rockaway.

Maybe post along what line of activity your children enjoy and then I can try to help you further

PinkandYellow

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 3:34 pm
Quote:
Science Museum in Queens and the LI Children's Museum

are either of these options good for a 5 yo and 2yo (the 2 yo is particularly overly active)? thanks.

granolamom

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 10:13 pm
I think LI childrens museum is good for kids 5 and 2. even an active kid. my kids were pretty bored with the place by age 6 or 7 though

wtvr

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 10:49 pm
Totally appropriate for 5 and 2. They have a toddler play area, too. My (then) 2 year old loves the bubbles section. They may not "get" the activities, but there's stuff for them to do.

Ashrei

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 11:50 pm
I second White Post Farms. My 2 1/2 year old went on the pony ride there and LOVED it, definitely get some extra tokens for that. And she really enjoyed the 'hay ride' and the all the slides and playgrounds. The petting zoo was scary though, but easy to ignore and circumvent. It's close to Fun Zone if you want to do both, and there's a Kosher Pizza place called Hunkies in Plainview, also very close. Have fun. Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries