Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Why does this kind of thing only happen when my DH is OOT?

yaelinIN

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 9:33 pm
My husband left for a four day work trip this morning. Things were just fine and I decided to get some of our shopping out of the way by walking (one kid biking, one kid rollerblading, one kid running, and the baby in the stroller/sling). As we came home, the rollerblader (my oldest and therefore most helpful to me) fell and couldn't get up. I took all of them to the Urgent Care and his lower leg is fractured -- the nurse said probably three months in a full leg cast. Sigh. We have lots of plans for travelling this summer and he was to go to camp too. Now everything is up in the air.

This kind of thing only happns when my DH is out of town. I have no family and only one or two friends that might be able to help.

His name is Gavriel Tzvi ben Yael Leah if anyone wishes to daven for him.

Thanks for listening,
Yael

BusyBeeMommy

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 9:36 pm
I'm so sorry! I hope he has a refuah sheleima and I will say a few perakim of tehillim.

yo'ma

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 9:49 pm
Refuah Shelama!! If your dh was home, would everyone have gone shopping with you?

yaelinIN

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 10:10 pm
yo'ma wrote:
Refuah Shelama!! If your dh was home, would everyone have gone shopping with you?

Yeah probably. embarrassed It was to be a fun outing and it was until the last 5 minutes! I thought I would save a bit of time tomorrow since my MIL is coming for a visit on Tuesday...

Oh well.

Thanks for the well-wishes though.

leomom

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 2:10 am
I'm so sorry! My heart sank when I read your post. You must be replaying the outing in your mind - I know I do when unexpected crises happen. I am davening for your son's speedy refuah sheleimah!!

Could well be he can keep his summer plans with a cast, though. Kids with permanent disabilities participate in all kinds of things - why not a kid with a temporary one?

B"H, a broken leg is very difficult, but it will heal. And someday this will become one of your famous family stories... That actually helps me get through kids' injuries and similar crises -- picturing the child years in the future, telling his/her kids, "When I was 10, I broke my leg while rollerblading... yeah, I had to wear a cast for three months!!"

Refuah sheleimah and hope the rest of your week is OK!

yaelinIN

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 9:58 am
yy wrote:
I'm so sorry! My heart sank when I read your post. You must be replaying the outing in your mind - I know I do when unexpected crises happen. I am davening for your son's speedy refuah sheleimah!!

Could well be he can keep his summer plans with a cast, though. Kids with permanent disabilities participate in all kinds of things - why not a kid with a temporary one?

B"H, a broken leg is very difficult, but it will heal. And someday this will become one of your famous family stories... That actually helps me get through kids' injuries and similar crises -- picturing the child years in the future, telling his/her kids, "When I was 10, I broke my leg while rollerblading... yeah, I had to wear a cast for three months!!"

Oh yy, you totally get what I've been doing since the accident!!!! If we had gotten ice cream instead of coming straight home, if I had made them slow down, etc, etc.

After a somewhat sleepless night, we have an appointment this afternoon.

leomom

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 9:00 pm
yaelinIN wrote:
yy wrote:

Oh yy, you totally get what I've been doing since the accident!!!! If we had gotten ice cream instead of coming straight home, if I had made them slow down, etc, etc.

After a somewhat sleepless night, we have an appointment this afternoon.

How did the appointment go?

(Those "if onlys" are devastating -- try to remind yourself that it is all hashgacha pratis. It's hard.)

yaelinIN

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 9:41 pm
He has one bright orange cast -- a long cast (in the pic) for 4-6 weeks and a short below the knee one for 2-4 weeks.

We are now trying to figure out what will be with camp for everyone. Obviously camp will not be so much fun with a cast on, so we are trying to see if we can re-arrange everything so he could go to camp the second session (it is also possible he could have the cast off as early as the first (of three weeks) week of camp). We don't live where the camps are so we have to get an apartment, etc etc, so it could be a huge tircha for us...

leomom

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 9:46 pm
Awwww! He doesn't look too happy! Sad

It's a gorgeous cast, though. 8)

And within a few days, everyone will get into a "broken leg" routine and it will start to feel more normal.

Hope things work out with camp -- sounds like you have some possibilities, anyway.

I wonder if calcium (/magnesium) supplements help bones heal faster? I'm sure there's info out there...

yaelinIN

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 9:54 pm
He is not in pain but was in no mood to smile today for the camera -- BUT Bubbe is arriving for a short visit tomorrow and he is excited about that (and the wheelchair he will be get to maneuver tomorrow at the museum).

If we switch sessions, we will not be able to take advantage of the apt we get for the whole time (about 4 days of the three week period), and that is annoying as we have to vacate and then come back with all of our stuff only a couple of days after we settle in.

I have to do some research about natural remedies...

amother

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 10:49 pm
get yourself, or rather him a castcooler. it saved us- it will bring airflow thru the cast to keep it itch free, cool and dry. you can borrow mine if you want to pay the to and fro shipping, otherwise we bought it at www.castcooler.com
I wonder how I can link you to me blog, without giving me away.
we did a spica cast last summer and we managed to have fun anyways. but it was hard and when we were done I needed a vacation...

ok- so I used amother to protect who I am, but here is my blog I kept, it may help you maybe? I know he is older but there may be something you can use, or just read and think what a bracha it is that it is "only" his leg...
http://lalicast.blogspot.com/

yaelinIN

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 12:03 am
Amother, thanks for the information. If you really would like to ship it to us, I would be grateful (and of course pay the shipping fees). Please PM if you want to do this.

Tizki l'mitzvos,
Yael

yo'ma

Post Wed, May 12 2010, 3:56 pm
It just occured to me why these types of things happen when your dh is oot. Okay, not this badly, but things probably also happen when he's not oot, but since he's there, it's not that big of a deal because you have someone there with you to help.

groisamomma

Post Wed, May 12 2010, 7:30 pm
yo'ma wrote:
It just occured to me why these types of things happen when your dh is oot. Okay, not this badly, but things probably also happen when he's not oot, but since he's there, it's not that big of a deal because you have someone there with you to help.

When fil was in Isreal, my mil had a break-in and woke up seeing the prowler in her bedroom. The next morning, she miscarried. With three other little kids! She got on the next plane to Israel as fast as she was able...

yaelinIN

Post Wed, May 12 2010, 8:00 pm
Maybe, but I was looking at our Skype records (as that is how we talk when he is OOT) and the one of last times he was gone, all three of the kids got a nasty stomach virus. The real last time he went away for more than a day was to help the bochurim in Japan, so of course, nothing happened!

It's just kinda quirky that's all.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics