Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Presents for siblings of a new baby?

amother

Post Wed, May 12 2010, 6:25 am
I am be”H almost due with child #3. I have heard of many people buying (small) presents for the older kids as if coming from the new baby. Have you done this? Do you think it helps with jealousy? Truth is, I am not so worried about my oldest, since he’s been through this once before, but the younger one is such a baby of the family I am worried about his reaction to the new baby. Also, it might be good to have them occupied at least a little in the beginning with a new exciting toy.

If you’ve done this, did you find that it helped? What did you get? (If it helps, my older one is almost 4 and the younger one is almost 2).

Isramom8

Post Wed, May 12 2010, 6:39 am
I buy inexpensive gifts from Mommy, lichvod that we have a new baby. Like a whole fancy chocolate bar for each kid. I give it to them when they visit me in the hospital.

In Israel it's common that a sib brings taffies in for the whole class when there is a new baby in the family.

I don't know if it helps with jealousy, but it definitely helps them feel what a happy thing it is to have a new sibling, and that Mommy wants to share her joy with the kids she already has and loves.

c.c.cookie

Post Wed, May 12 2010, 6:42 am
I totally agree with Isramom8! I did that for my kids when I had the fifth, and it made them so excited! "Look what I got from Mommy and the new baby!"

shiradye

Post Thu, May 13 2010, 12:19 pm
I buy inexpensive things "from the baby" for when we come home from the hospital. For Isramom's reason, they are happy to have a baby, whom I stress loves them so much.
And of course, with a big kiss.

farm

Post Thu, May 13 2010, 1:51 pm
Yup- we buy a nice present for the siblings and tell them it's from the new baby. After presenting my DS (5) with a big bucket of tinker toys "from the baby," he looked at me with wide eyes and asked, "how did she know I love these?"
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics