Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Becoming Frum... The Journey Continues.

MrsDash

Post Fri, May 14 2010, 1:38 am
yoshi wrote:
If someone were to tell you they would like to pursue a religious life, becoming Frum, a desire to begin keeping Shabbos, High Holidays, Kosher, Nidda, Work on Tzniot, Pray, Etc. - What would you tell them? Where should they start? - Keep in mind, they do not have a Rav, nor do they have a kosher home or keep Shabbos or keep any Halachos.

Thank you all for the wonderful responses from the previous thread.

The family would like to start off by having a kosher home. Obviously this means they will have to buy a whole lot of kitchen and dining items which can be on the pricy side. Anyone know of organizations/gemachs that cater to these kinds of things for those wanting to become frum?

TIA!

melbee

Post Fri, May 14 2010, 1:43 am
I don't know what's in NJ, but there's a program where I live called JET (Jewish Education Team) that might be worth looking into. I think they're nationwide, so they should be by you. Maybe google and see what comes up? Chabad is another rather obvious choice, but would probably offer the most assistance.

Hatzlocha!! (in both your and their endeavors Smile )

MrsDash

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 10:56 am
melbee wrote:
I don't know what's in NJ, but there's a program where I live called JET (Jewish Education Team) that might be worth looking into. I think they're nationwide, so they should be by you. Maybe google and see what comes up? Chabad is another rather obvious choice, but would probably offer the most assistance.

Hatzlocha!! (in both your and their endeavors Smile )

Thanks so much! I never even thought of contacting Chabad.

Anyone have info on the Chabad in Toms River, New Jersey?

egam

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 11:01 am
Chabad of Toms River

su7kids

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 11:09 am
you should definitely ask a Rav ab out what things in the kitchen may be kasherable. I have heard Rabonim say that certain things can be kashered that you wouldn't imagine, I.e. Tupperware, that if it survives the dip in hot water, it can be kashered, because someone who is changing over their house, it is a major expense, and financial loss may stop them from moving ahead properly.

Ask a Rav, you'll be fascinated.

You can also hold a "kitchen shower" in your community for them and make a wonderful evening of teaching about kashrus to the less frum people and have people bring them gifts for their new kitchen , as if they're getting married. They can register at Bed Bath and Beyond, for example!

Fox

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 11:17 am
su7kids wrote:
you should definitely ask a Rav ab out what things in the kitchen may be kasherable. I have heard Rabonim say that certain things can be kashered that you wouldn't imagine, I.e. Tupperware, that if it survives the dip in hot water, it can be kashered, because someone who is changing over their house, it is a major expense, and financial loss may stop them from moving ahead properly.

Ask a Rav, you'll be fascinated.

Not to wander OT, but this is excellent advice for anyone. MY DH has learned Issur v'Heter for years, and he often answers shailos on these matters. He's driven nuts by how much expense people go to because they don't think to actually ask a shaila. He always says that throwing out a potentially problematic container or utensil without asking a shaila doesn't make you more frum, it just makes you more of a spendthrift! LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions