Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
What do you do with leftover gefilte fish?
1  2  Next

happy chick

Post Fri, May 21 2010, 11:34 am
I have fish left over from yom tov and dont really want to trash it. I want to bake it. cant be bothered with frying. what do you put on it and how long and an what temp do you bake it?

Isramom8

Post Fri, May 21 2010, 11:38 am
Why not just serve it?
I really like leftover gefilte fish hot during the week. Microwave (if your micro is milchig and your fish fleishig-potted then double wrap or whatever your rav says to do) and serve to whoever wants, with mayo.

Levtov

Post Fri, May 21 2010, 12:29 pm
It freezes very well. Wrap in paper towel, then silver foil and plastic bag. Thaw overnight in fridge next shabbos. Don't tell anybody, and your family will not know the difference.

happy chick

Post Fri, May 21 2010, 12:39 pm
I want to use it for shabbos, just want to give it a little change of taste. I would fry it with egg and bread crumbs, its delicious, but I want to bake it, not fry.

yiddishe vayb

Post Fri, May 21 2010, 12:45 pm
There is a tomato and veggie recipe that you could
probably bake. I don't know the recipe though.
Good luck!

mha3484

Post Fri, May 21 2010, 12:49 pm
Cant you bread it and then bake it instead of frying it?

happy chick

Post Fri, May 21 2010, 12:51 pm
thats what I want to find out. can I dip it in egg and bread crumbs and then bake it?

mha3484

Post Fri, May 21 2010, 1:09 pm
I dont see why not. People do it with schnitzel or veggies.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, May 21 2010, 3:01 pm
Leftover gefilte fish? Isn't that an oxymoron? How could one possibly have leftover gefilte fish? Scratching Head

Levtov

Post Fri, May 21 2010, 3:08 pm
happy chick wrote:
I want to use it for shabbos, just want to give it a little change of taste. I would fry it with egg and bread crumbs, its delicious, but I want to bake it, not fry.
You can give it a delicious mid-eastern twist:
slice and bake with tomato sauce, a little salt and sugar and spice with cumin. Then put in a frozen peas and carrots. Bake on 350 for about 1 hour and serve warm. simply delicious

mimimom

Post Fri, May 21 2010, 3:11 pm
In my house it usually goes into a container and then sits until I throw it out next erev Shabbos. Wink not that I'm recommending that.

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 21 2010, 3:39 pm
Slice the gefilte fish. Dip into 1 egg + 1 Tbsp water mixture.
Dip into seasoned breadcrumb and ground walnut mixture.
Bake at 400 for 10 minutes on each side. (You can spray the tops of the slices when you flip them halfway through.)

yo'ma

Post Fri, May 21 2010, 3:40 pm
I actually revamped my gefilte fish from shavuos for shabbos. Right now it's sitting in tomato sauce with spices.

happy chick

Post Fri, May 21 2010, 4:47 pm
well, for the record. I just baked it with egg and bread crumbs. its edible, but I wouldnt serve it for shabbos. the bread crumbs didnt really bake. it sort of came out the way it went it. whatever...

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 21 2010, 4:47 pm
We;ve discussed this before - you can sauce it with salsa, salsa and pineapple, pesto, duck sacue, etc.

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 21 2010, 7:34 pm
happy chick wrote:
well, for the record. I just baked it with egg and bread crumbs. its edible, but I wouldnt serve it for shabbos. the bread crumbs didnt really bake. it sort of came out the way it went it. whatever...
Oy vay. I thought it would come out the way it does when using a raw, partially defrosted gefilte loaf.

old_mom

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 10:50 pm
This is always a hit at my house and with guests. (Well, OK: it's not quite as popular as fresh baked salmon, or lox! Very Happy ) It can even be made on Pesach as well, which is when I invented this a few years ago:

Take boiled or baked g-fish and mash it up in a bowl (or lightly grind, using a food processor). Add a chopped or grated onion; one or two raw eggs; and one or two (or more if you like) raw potatoes, shredded as you would for kugel or latkes. The amount of potato, onion, and egg depends on how much leftover g-fish you have. The batter should be like potato latke batter. Be generous with the onion; it adds a lot of flavor. You can also add some finely shredded carrot, if you like.

Then fry as patties on both sides, just like latkes that are all potato. (I once baked this latke batter at about 400 degrees, in heaping tablespoons dropped on parchment paper, flipping them over a few times. This will take longer than baking and it works best if you lightly spray the tops of the raw batter with oil: I love my refillable oil sprayer. Or use Pam.)

Even people who are not so fond of gefilte fish seem to like these fish latkes. Many are surprised that they even contain fish, because they just really taste like potato latkes. I still serve them with chrain.

You can even freeze them. Like all potato recipes that I freeze, however, I like to wrap them in foil and heat the thawed latkes thoroughly in the oven before serving, even if you want to then cool them after that before serving. They taste fresher that way (same for potato kugels that I freeze sometimes). They are fine hot, too.

An added advantage is that this is a fine way to stretch a roll of gefilte fish to feed many more than it would have fed if served alone.

sub

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 10:52 pm
Levtov wrote:
It freezes very well. Wrap in paper towel, then silver foil and plastic bag. Thaw overnight in fridge next shabbos. Don't tell anybody, and your family will not know the difference.

We bake it after freezing it. That way it’s not soggy.

lech lecha08

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 3:15 pm
This thread is almost 10 years old. I really hope she's not still trying to figure out what to do with it.

old_mom

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 3:22 pm
LOL
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics