Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Tzitzit in/out
1  2  3  Next

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 12:35 pm
My great grandfathers (all very frum, all European, 3 chassdish one Sefardi) all wore their tzitzis in.
It was also that way in dh's family.

Nowadays, in FFB families of many kinds, I see the grandfathers with tzitzis in, fathers one or the other or sometimes in sometimes out, and sons often out.

I am very curious where I could find a discussion or article on tzitzis in and out in various minhagim.

I found that one http://hirhurim.blogspot.com/2......html but would love more details.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 1:51 pm
Mine is the same... He's from Galicia. He HATES it when my kids tzitzis come untucked and go flying.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 2:40 pm
my DH wears his in but our yeshiva DS wears his out

AlwaysGrateful

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 2:50 pm
I know that the "out" minhag is based on "u'r'isem osam" - that you're supposed to acutally be able to see them.

Newly Wed

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 3:01 pm
In most Chassidisha circles the beged of the tzitzis is worn out as well. It is for "urisem oisom".

I have noticed that Chabad wears their shirts out as well as their tzitzis. What is the reason for this? (Ruchel, am I hijacking?)

Last edited by Newly Wed on Sun, Jan 24 2010, 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 3:06 pm
my grandfather was from Poland and whenever he saw my brother wearing his tzitzit out of his pants he would say "if the polaks saw that they would cut them right off". my grandfather never wore them out. my father sometimes wares the tzitzit out and sometimes in, its a mood thing, I think. my brother, wears them out all of the time (he is in hesder so that could be a reason too Smile )

tizunabi

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 3:08 pm
People who wear there tzitzit in interpert "u're'eetem otam" as meaning when it is daytime (when you can physically see them, no need for everyone else to know they are there)- which means that you can tell the difference between blue and green or all the various halachik opinions for when the day starts.
This is also the reason why if you put on tzizit at night you do not make a brakha.

As a side anecdote: my dh's grandfather used to say there are things that are more intrinsically jewish than tzizit that he doesn't parade around with outside his pants.

Twizzlers

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 3:53 pm
my dh wears them tucked in. my 3 year old wears them tucked out because a) I like em that way Wink and b) they come out every morning when they make the tzitzis bracha in school and would never get tucked back in.

in any case, according to dh, the strings should not touch any skin. I dont think my son would be able to get them properly tucked in and avoid that at this age so I guess its better that he has them out.

ora_43

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 4:00 pm
tizunabi wrote:
People who wear there tzitzit in interpert "u're'eetem otam" as meaning when it is daytime (when you can physically see them, no need for everyone else to know they are there)- which means that you can tell the difference between blue and green or all the various halachik opinions for when the day starts.
This is also the reason why if you put on tzizit at night you do not make a brakha.

This is what I learned as well.

Quote:
As a side anecdote: my dh's grandfather used to say there are things that are more intrinsically jewish than tzizit that he doesn't parade around with outside his pants.

Funny Very Happy . But also not so far off. AFAIK, the reason that many keep their tzitzit tucked even in times and places where there's no cause not to look obviously Jewish is that today's tzitzit are almost always placed on an undershirt. And it's not proper to show your undergarments to the world (at least by this shita).

My dh wore his out at the first post-hs yeshiva he learned in, but at the second, where the rosh yeshiva was sephardi (Syrian, iirc), everyone wore them in, because the rosh yeshiva ruled that it's not respectful to have them visible (for the above mentioned reason).

someoneoutthere

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 4:47 pm
Newly Wed wrote:
In most Chassidisha circles the beged of the tzitzis is worn out as well. It is for "urisem oisom".

I have noticed that Chabad wears their shirts out as well as their tzitzis. What is the reason for this? (Ruchel, am I hijacking?)

the shirts out thing is because there is an opinion (I'm not sure of the details so someone else can fill in whose, but I'm goign to assume Shulchan Aruch Harav) that the beged of the tzitzis needs to be "amah al amah" an amah's width on each side (front/back) to require tzitzis mideoraisah. Many bochurim and men wear a gartel or elastic (bendel) under their shirts on their tzitzis to be certain that the beged has a full amah of material going around from each side. Tucking in the shirt could potentially cause the beged to fold....I just say- learn to tuck in your shirt so it doesn't....but that's the reason why many Lubavitcher bochurim will wear their shirts untucked.

as for why some people wear the strings out vs. in, you've got most of the answers here.

JessicaA622

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 5:38 pm
My husband just started wearing his tzitzis out because he read (it may have been Shulchan Aruch... I can't remember right now) that they should always be out. Wherever he read it, the author came down quite harshly on people who tuck in their tzitzis.

Rodent

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 6:15 pm
We're sepharadi. My husband wears his in and considers those left out as unkempt, in particular when wearing a button down shirt etc. Our son in theory wears his in but they come out and it's summer here and they hang out the bottom of his short legs which looks silly so I just pull them out then.

SharonB

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 1:45 pm
My DH and father wear their Tzitzit tucked in. My BIL wears his out.

lamplighter

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 4:32 pm
I didn't know the whole reason why chabad wears they're shirts tucked out. I knew the bendel thing and the ama but I never connected the 2. I just thought they were unkempt/lazy.
I'll have to ask my DH about this, although I'm not sure I want to give him validation Smile

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 4:34 pm
My dh wears his in during the week, out on shabbos - I don't know why.

Ruchel

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 12:37 pm
Up Wink

any more?

About Chabad, I never noticed. On contrary.
My dh says it's typically American and THE way to spot an American Chabad in France!

louche

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 12:42 pm
Where I come from, wearing tzitzis out was considered arrogant and a form of religious exhibitionism. The strings wrapped around the belt was barely acceptable, and tassels swinging free was completely beyond the pale.

Marion

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 2:03 pm
DH wears them in. DS#1 wears them out, for now, but not forever. I don't like the tzitzit hanging out look (ESPECIALLY not when I can also see the beged...a problem because they're a bit big for him right now), but it IS practical for a newly trained boy who has trouble tucking himself back in. I actually tried showing him how to loop them through the belt loops on his trousers, but we discovered that was NOT a good way for him to make it to the toilet on time! So until his tucking skills improve out it will be. (And I agree with Rodent...with shorts/short trousers the tzitzit hanging out the bottom of the legs does look quite funny.)

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 10:08 pm
My husband is Shepardic and wears them out. He was raised secular and his dad wouldn’t let him do/ wear anything religious.

PeanutMama

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 10:16 pm
My husband wears his tzitzis out when when my son turns three I’d also love him to wear his tzitzis out. Hubby says no one should be ashamed of being Jewish and frum
Smile
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions