Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Do you use those crock pot liners?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 11:38 am
They look really easy for cleanup but are they healthy for you? Are they made of plastic? Wouldnt it be bad to have the plastic warm for so long? But they look great for cleanup :)

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 11:40 am
Yes, I use them on occasion.
Yes, they are unhealthy.
Yes, they provide very easy clean up Smile

Mirabelle

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 11:41 am
I find that they break on me when I am trying to clean up, or melt to the side. I assume they arent meant to be used for long shobbos chulent cooking.

mamaleh

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 12:28 pm
I use one every week with my cholent. I find the trick to avoiding melting/ sticking is to put enough water on the outside of the bag. I use at least 2 cups.
It makes clean up so much easier. I don't know about the health risks but they generally do not melt.

reed

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 12:48 pm
Health issues aside, I have had better experiences with the Reynold's slow cooker bags that the ones the kosher groceries. It doesn't even require water underneath (though I put some if I'm cooking something very long like chulent), and it seems sturdier than the others. It doesn't melt or stick to the pot like the others do.

dora

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 12:52 pm
I use them all the time. I put water in the pot before putting in the liner, then fold it over the cover so it doesn't stick to the metal rim.

hipstamom

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 12:56 pm
I used the Kitchen collections brand. I find they work really well. I put it inside the enamel crock and add 2 cups of water to the crock before sticking the bag in. The one time it melted, my husband put the bag between the crock and the heating element. Wink

Strictlycurls

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 1:03 pm
We tried liners a few times when we started making shabbos ourselves. Most of the time they had holes melt through them, so for now dh takes care of the crockpot washing and the liners are forgotten in the cupboard. Smile

exhausted

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 7:45 pm
I use them and I love them. Ditto for the Reynolds.

groisamomma

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 7:55 pm
ONLY use the Reynold's brand slow cooker bags; I was miserable with the Kitchen Collection ones. They are obvious imitations and of lower quality. Going on seven years (or so), the Reynold's bag never once broke or melted through, it does slightly stick when my crockpot is on high for too long and the bottom burns, but even then it can be slightly nudged upward without splitting. Oh, and it doesn't depend on water, so I was able to stop trying to convince myself that the reason KC brand didn't work was because of too much/too little water each week.

I guess you get what you pay for. Reynold's is more expensive, but it's one of the few things I won't go cheap on-I hate, hate, hate scrubbing a crockpot!

chaylizi

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 7:58 pm
you have to be careful that the bags have hashgacha. apparently some brands are sprayed with something that is not kosher. Reynolds has an OU & there is an israeli brand in a red & yellow box that has badatz eida hachareidis. Never heard of kitchen collection. They must not sell those out in the boonies.

I have never had any bag from either brand I mentioned above melt on me.

Rodent

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 8:11 pm
We had one melt when we lived in NY. Badly melt, destroy enamel type melt. Not happy.

I've never even seen them here but have no desire to seek them out.

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 8:40 pm
FYI about Kitchen Collection ones; it depends on your crockpot, and what how it cooks.
The KC liners work wonderfully in my crock, but melt in my mom's. So she uses the Reynolds now.

mosma

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 9:08 pm
I've tried the "jewish" ones and they always end up melting. And they're annoying because you need to put water underneath...
the reynolds ones don't need water on the bottom and have NEVER melted on me.
and they are NOT unhealthy. I don't know why the above poster thinks they are. they're created to be safe for this purpose.

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 9:13 pm
mosma wrote:
I've tried the "jewish" ones and they always end up melting. And they're annoying because you need to put water underneath...
the reynolds ones don't need water on the bottom and have NEVER melted on me.
and they are NOT unhealthy. I don't know why the above poster thinks they are. they're created to be safe for this purpose.
They are unhealthy to cook with, just like it's unhealthy to warm up food in the microwave in plasticware. The chemicals leak into the food.
Same with silverfoil and aluminum pans in the oven. They leak aluminum into the food.

suomynona

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 11:48 pm
I use them a few times a week. They're the best.
I use the red & yellow box. For shabbos I put 2 cups of water underneath. For a regular supper I put 1 cup.
I never had it melt.

suzyq

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 6:09 am
Where can I find the Reynold's ones? Also, the jewish brands I've bought don't fit in my larger crock pot? How big are the Reynold's liners? Do they have ones that fit a 7-8 quart crock pot?

wannagrow

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 6:40 am
ladies I beseech of you to stay away from these. While they are so convenient, esp when most crock pots r very difficult to clean- they are dangerously unhealthy. The prolonged exposure to high heats are bound to make some of the plastic particles melt into the food and they are carcinogens. With the high rates of cancer today we need to be sxtra cautious!

stem

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 7:07 am
What about using parchment paper to line the crocpot? The coverage is not as good as a bag, but it cuts down on food sticking to the bottom of the pot. Is cooking with parchment paper considered unhealthy?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 7:45 am
I liked the Kitchen Collection ones a lot for our rice steamer, but ds thought it was unhealthy and we started using brown rice more, so I just upgraded the steamer to one that's easily washable. I gave away the steamer with the bags.

I've had cholent made in that bag, and didn't think it had a good taste, but that could be the cholent-maker or even the crock pot.

Healthy is relative.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen