Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
5 month old cant hold his weight when I hold him underarm

NYmommy

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 5:22 pm
my 5 month old cant hold his weight when I hold him underarm, he bends his knee. I think at this age they are suppose to be able to do that. Is there anything I can do to encourage him?

life'sgreat

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 9:19 pm
Yes, get him evaluated. If he has a low muscle tone issue, waiting will only make it harder to correct. The younger they are, the better it is. Please don't postpone this. I have a nephew that had this issue and his mom was lazy about getting him therapy. He's past bar mitzva now, but not that long ago, he'd cry to his mom that he can't run fast and all the other kids laugh at him. The therapists told her that had she started way younger, he'd be much better off.

Fabulous

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 9:21 pm
really, my 9 month still does that a lot of times. I have pt coming tomorrow to evaluate him. I will definitely mention it. I didn't think it was a big deal, although I did see a six month old this week that stood beautifully with her mother holding her but I just thought she was advanced. How are we first time mommies supposed to know what stage each thing should happen by?

NYmommy

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 10:12 pm
Is it possible that he has low muscle tone even he rolls over, grabs toys & develops normally in all other aspects?

Fabulous, I know that he's suppose to do it by now because by his 4 month well visit the dr. asked me if he's doing it. When I said he's not she circled it in his chart but made no big deal of it.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 10:33 pm
kids don't always follow textbook rules for every detail of their development; sometimes a baby will develop earlier than normal in one area and later than normal in another. this is completely fine, as long as there isn't a pattern of developmental delay, or a known underlying cause for delay. I'm guessing your dr. didn't say anything because all other areas of his development are normal.

does your baby look or feel floppy or mushy (more so than other babies)? can he hold himself upright when you're carrying him on your hip or over your arm? these can help determine if he's low tone, although if he's rolling and grabbing and appears normal otherwise, nothing you say seems to indicate low tone. if you're still concerned at his 6 month visit, ask the dr. about it. until then, he may grow into that skill; if not, and the dr. thinks therapy is warranted at that point, it's certainly not too late, especially if all other milestones are met.

life'sgreat

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 10:35 pm
Fabulous wrote:
really, my 9 month still does that a lot of times. I have pt coming tomorrow to evaluate him. I will definitely mention it. I didn't think it was a big deal, although I did see a six month old this week that stood beautifully with her mother holding her but I just thought she was advanced. How are we first time mommies supposed to know what stage each thing should happen by?

You're not. And it bothers me when older moms see these issues and don't mention it to new moms. Don't beat yourself up over it, but get your 9 month old the help s/he needs.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 9:46 am
NYmommy wrote:

Fabulous, I know that he's suppose to do it by now because by his 4 month well visit the dr. asked me if he's doing it. When I said he's not she circled it in his chart but made no big deal of it.
That's not necessarily indicative -- sometimes peds will ask things that aren't expected till later, because some kids are early.

For instance, at my daughter's 2 month visit, he noted she rolls over, which is not generally something they look for until 4 months, but it's OK for it to happen between 2-5 months or so. He sometimes asks things from a future expectation to note that she is already doing them...

imaima

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 9:51 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
NYmommy wrote:

That's not necessarily indicative -- sometimes peds will ask things that aren't expected till later, because some kids are early.

For instance, at my daughter's 2 month visit, he noted she rolls over, which is not generally something they look for until 4 months, but it's OK for it to happen between 2-5 months or so. He sometimes asks things from a future expectation to note that she is already doing them...

yeah.. like at 1 mon check up my ped ask me if the baby sleeps through the night.. Rolling Eyes shock

gryp

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 10:07 am
Yes, please get this checked out. Therapy for low-muscle tone, the sooner the better.

life'sgreat

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 11:01 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
kids don't always follow textbook rules for every detail of their development; sometimes a baby will develop earlier than normal in one area and later than normal in another. this is completely fine, as long as there isn't a pattern of developmental delay, or a known underlying cause for delay. I'm guessing your dr. didn't say anything because all other areas of his development are normal.

does your baby look or feel floppy or mushy (more so than other babies)? can he hold himself upright when you're carrying him on your hip or over your arm? these can help determine if he's low tone, although if he's rolling and grabbing and appears normal otherwise, nothing you say seems to indicate low tone. if you're still concerned at his 6 month visit, ask the dr. about it. until then, he may grow into that skill; if not, and the dr. thinks therapy is warranted at that point, it's certainly not too late, especially if all other milestones are met.
Why does it hurt to have the child evaluated? The best is that she'll be able to be calm that nothing's wrong. And if the child needs therapy, why wait?

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 11:57 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:

Why does it hurt to have the child evaluated? The best is that she'll be able to be calm that nothing's wrong. And if the child needs therapy, why wait?

I didn't say anything to discourage her from having her child evaluated- I was just trying to explain why it isn't necessarily concerning.

although if you did ask, unless there are other areas of concern, I would say that evaluating at this point is jumping the gun a bit. no one gave her any reason to believe that her child has low tone or any other developmental concern. the particular skill that she mentioned is not expected to fully develop before 7 months anyway. what exactly is she evaluating for at 5 months?

HindaRochel

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 12:12 am
From what I've searched the "normal" age for that to develop is 6mns.
Being a little late is not bad...one needs intervention when either the skill is not developing in the normal time SPAN (so I would not be worried at 5 months...at 9 I would be concerned) or when there is an overall picture of lack of/slow development development in an area, or slow development overall.

Fabulous

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 12:18 am
op, I hope you don't feel I hijacked the thread but I wanted to report what my evaluators said today. His pt issues are borderline but apparently he has more ot issue and because the city will most likely not approve both, they felt he was best served with ot that can address pt issues as well. If the ot (if city approves even that) feels in a few months that more help is needed, another evaluation will be done.

I DO NOT REGRET getting him evaluated. I just thought it was a pt issue, but instead found out he has some ot issues that really need to be addressed. I was expecting to be told, oh you're a first time mom, don't worry things happen when they happen.

That being said, 5 months is a little young. Perhaps call your ped or even an agency to ask if it's something to be considered or monitored for.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 9:48 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:

I didn't say anything to discourage her from having her child evaluated- I was just trying to explain why it isn't necessarily concerning.

although if you did ask, unless there are other areas of concern, I would say that evaluating at this point is jumping the gun a bit. no one gave her any reason to believe that her child has low tone or any other developmental concern. the particular skill that she mentioned is not expected to fully develop before 7 months anyway. what exactly is she evaluating for at 5 months?
Exactly.

Her ONLY concern is because her ped asked her a month ago if her child can do it, and so she assumes her child should.
That's not the case. Besides the fact that it's not expected yet, there is also a normal range which allows for some to develop it earlier (4 months), some later (7 months), so her ped was asking her because they had reached normal range, even if not expected age.

I'm not trained or anything, but as a mother I know that one should not worry about milestones just because the ped asked. If there was a delay, he probably would have said, if the baby doesn't start doing it in 2 months, we'll have it checked out...or whatever. For now, everything seems normal since all the other milestones were reached, development is normal, etc.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 10:05 am
(Just to add a light note: last night I asked my sister who is in school for OT -- I know this is more of a PT issue -- what she thought, and my husband interjected, "I wonder what people used to talk about before the internet.")
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics