Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Embarassed to wear a bathing suit

amother

Post Sun, May 30 2010, 10:16 pm
I want to go swimming this summer but I'm overweight, and embarassed to wear just a bathing suit. does any one have any suggestions for what I can wear on top of it, and still look normal?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, May 30 2010, 10:22 pm
Maybe you could wear a tee shirt over it, but it's a safety hazard.

You DO know that most of us are not model thin, right ?

de_goldy

Post Sun, May 30 2010, 10:24 pm
how about a 2 peices bathing suit with shorts over.

yummymummy

Post Sun, May 30 2010, 10:26 pm
Why don't you wear a cover up? There are many cute dresses, skirts, tunics, etc. that come in all different colors, patterns, sizes and price ranges. I was in the Catskills last summer and lots of the girls and women were wearing cover ups at the pool. Target has a nice and resonably priced selection:

http://www.target.com/Womens-C.....80261

Having said that, I also want to mention that plenty of the women at the pool wore just bathing suits and they were hardly simsuit models and did not seem the least bit ashamed. But if you would feel more comfortable then deifnitely wear a nice cover up for swimming.

amother

Post Sun, May 30 2010, 10:57 pm
I saw a woman wearing a coverup made of bathing suit material that was short sleeved and came up above the knee, maybe mid-thigh. It was pretty thin and lay nicely. She said you can find them in any lingerie shop in BP that sells bathing suits. I'm looking into it.

MamaBear

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 3:43 pm
Google rash guard and swim shorts.

amother

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 4:35 pm
amother wrote:
I saw a woman wearing a coverup made of bathing suit material that was short sleeved and came up above the knee, maybe mid-thigh. It was pretty thin and lay nicely. She said you can find them in any lingerie shop in BP that sells bathing suits. I'm looking into it.

Its called a chassidishe bathing suit or a 'shvim-kleid'.

amother

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 5:35 pm
I'm also overweight and self conscious, but, there are some much bigger women in my colony. if they can do it, so can I.

I have a small swimming skirt that reached mid thigth, bought along with my bathing suit. try to find one of those matching sets

Yocheved84

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 5:46 pm
YES! You are talking to someone who NEVER felt comfortable in a bathing suit. When I went to a school w/ an swimming requirement, "pleasantly plump" Yocheved found a way out of it. Smile

GET A SUIT FROM AQUA MODESTA. THEY ARE AMAZING. For the first time in my life back in March, I was able to enjoy the water for the first time in my life. It brought happy tears to my eyes.

You deserve to cool off and enjoy the summer festivities. It was expensive, but let me tell you: To bypass the years of agonizing humiliation, it's worth every penny.

Hatzolocha.

Raisin

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 6:07 pm
those target coverups are not for actually swimming in I think. They look like what you wear to walk down to the beach.

But there are plenty of products to wear while swimming - aqua modesta, or there is another company which makes something similar, but I can't remember the name.

Mirabelle

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 6:57 pm
I've been recently swimming for my health because its the only form of excercize that I actually enjoy and I'm a big big lady. You know what? I was nervous that first time, then I saw lots of older zaftig ladies and I felt right at home! Very Happy

I highly dout that everyone you are swimming with are size two 19 year olds...

yummymummy

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 7:29 pm
Raisin wrote:
those target coverups are not for actually swimming in I think. They look like what you wear to walk down to the beach.

But there are plenty of products to wear while swimming - aqua modesta, or there is another company which makes something similar, but I can't remember the name.

I agree that Target's cover ups are not made of bathing suit materal but I bought three of the dresses last year and wore them to the pool for swimming and they worked great. They were much more flattering and attractive than a large t-shirt and a whole lot cheaper than an aqua modesta swim suit.

OP, if you want a bathing suit swimdress you might consider sea secret as well:

http://seasecret.biz/

Yocheved84

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 7:31 pm
yummymummy wrote:
Raisin wrote:

I agree that Target's cover ups are not made of bathing suit materal but I bought three of the dresses last year and wore them to the pool for swimming and they worked great. They were much more flattering and attractive than a large t-shirt and a whole lot cheaper than an aqua modesta swim suit.

OP, if you want a bathing suit swimdress you might consider sea secret as well:

http://seasecret.biz/

Thanks, above poster, for that site. I think I'm gonna buy some (well, once the Aqua Modesta ones wear out...) Smile

yummymummy

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 7:51 pm
No problem, you might like Hydrochic as well

http://www.hydrochic.com/index.html

saraleah2010

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 8:40 pm
I was just at target today, and saw those pretty coverups (almost bought one...) went down to just past the elbow and almost to the knee. material was thin, gauzy, and a little "hand-made" lace trim. It came in black or white.

I too have adopted the "oh who cares" about my cellulite... I've had 3 kids, my tummy is stretched, and my legs jiggle. oh well. I live in an area where there are lots of very large, very proud ladies that don't really care what other people think--they know they are beautiful! And they are much, much heavier than I am. If they don't care, why should I agonize over my pudgy little knees?

On the other hand, if it bothers you, address it. You are the one that needs to feel good--get a cover up, get an aqua modesta, get whatever you need, and then have a great time swimming this summer!

RachelEve14

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 3:02 am
I have a suit from here

http://www.modestswimwear4u.com/

and I find it very comfortable to go swimming in.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 6:14 am
My problem is not what the bathing suit covers, its what it doesn't!! Even if I get a slendering suit, my thighs are really big and so are my arms. I was always embarrassed in a bathing suit

Yocheved84

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 7:16 am
amother wrote:
My problem is not what the bathing suit covers, its what it doesn't!! Even if I get a slendering suit, my thighs are really big and so are my arms. I was always embarrassed in a bathing suit

I wore my Aqua Modesta when I was 200 pounds, and my friend (who was on the trip) is 250 pounds and also wore hers. The skirt was very loose (you're wearing scuba pants underneath which nobody can see--it comes with the suit. This way, you don't have to worry about it flying up in the water) and the shirt looked like a regular shirt (make sure you buy a size or two up).

It looks like any other outfit we'd wear out of the house--skirt below knee, shirt going below the elbow, etc.

Go browse all the sites everyone here gave (Aqua Modesta, Princess Modest Swimwear, Hydrochic, etc). Between all these, I'm sure you'll find something. It's important to remember that you need to feel comfortable and confident. Being in a good mood in what you're wearing will give you a good time at water events this summer. Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics