Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Kitchen cabinets - white painted wood vs laminate?

YoMom

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 10:44 am
I am redoing my kitchen and I love white (a simple shaker style door with modern hardware). I am deciding between white painted wood and thermofoil/laminate. I haven't gotten the wood estimate yet but there is one company that may be affordable. I know thermofoil can melt and warp, but the one I was quoted (Kemper) is a higher quality, American made, lifetime warranty - the guy said it will not melt. I know wood may look nicer but can chip and scratch. Anyone have thermofoil? Does it look platicky and how does it handle heat? Help! Any advice?? I need this kitchen to last me a good 15+ years! Thanks!

Tova

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 1:15 pm
My SIL did a gorgeous kitchen in white (more cream really) laminate/thermofoil. A good quality brand will not warp or melt.

IMO if you want a wood look (like I did) you wouldn't want to paint it. If you want that white/cream look, I wouldn't go with painted wood.

I love a soft maple wood and brown accents (I think it gives a wonderful warm look) so I did my kitchen in maple wood, brown/dark bronze faucets and hardware, brown glass accent tiles in my backsplash (mainly beige but brown every other one), and a brown/gold granite-look laminate countertop.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars