Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Heating food on Yom Tov

batya_d

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 7:44 pm
I'm too scared to leave the oven or any burners on overnight, because of the fire hazard, so I use an electric hot plate on Shabbos and Yom Tov instead.

However it seems like a lot of people do leave their stove or oven on for the whole two days. Is there a way to make this less risky? How do you do it?

mimsy7420

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 7:59 pm
I think each oven/stove is different. My mother has a smooth top stove and it gets WAY too hot to leave on over yontif even on low. Before that she had regular electric coils and that she did leave on low and it was fine. So I think it depends on your oven/stove. If your oven has sabbath mode then you for sure can leave it on all yontif. See the star K website for info on your specific oven regarding whether it is permitted to turn your oven/stove up and down on yontif.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 30 2006, 7:06 am
I don't like it either; my hotplate is on a timer and everything's prepared beforehand and just heated up.

chen

Post Tue, May 30 2006, 7:48 am
clear the area, keep all combustibles far away, put the flame on low as practicable, put big pots full of water on the blech overnight to act as a "heat sink" , sleep with one eye open, and make sure your smoke alarm is working (check the battery).

mimsy7420

Post Tue, May 30 2006, 7:54 am
SaraG wrote:
I don't like it either; my hotplate is on a timer and everything's prepared beforehand and just heated up.

Did the hotplate come with a timer? Or you plug it in to a timer? When does it go on/off?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 30 2006, 11:08 am
I hooked it up to a separate timer. same as for the oven or a lamp or an ac.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen