Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Pumping

PinkandYellow

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 7:35 am
For those of you that pump/ed. How old was your baby when you stopped pumping at work? Where you pumping once or twice a day?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 8:53 am
I think I pumped twice in the four hours I worked...it didn't last that long, either.

my coworker has a fancy new machine and I'm sure it works better than the old ones. she's on her 2nd baby already and he's pretty big!

youngmom

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 9:59 am
I pumped until about 6 months when I started giving solids.
But, I didn't pump at work. I pumped as soon as I got home.

Meema2Kids

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 10:16 am
With my first baby I pumped twice a day at work (8 hours) until she was 11 months old. With my 2nd I only pumped until he was 6 months because people complained. Exploding anger

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 10:45 am
Ignore that other people complain. Your baby comes first, and if you pump, you'll have to take off less days for sick days!

I stopped pumping at work recently because I was not pumping all too much, and he is taking solids at the sitter (not at home -- he nurses then to build up my supply)
I pump when I get home, before bed, and in the morning. I pump between 6-8 ounces for him for the sitter. But I don't advise this for everyone. You have to know if your supply can handle it and what your child needs before stopping to pump during the day.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 5:00 pm
I pump twice a day (except Friday, once) at work. I use the Pump In Style.
With my first son, I pumped until he was about 9 months old. Then came Pesach vacation. I was already pregnant with my 2nd and my dr. said to stop nursing. So although I didn't stop for several months, I did stop pumping then (he was 10 1/2 months old) and started using frozen milk and formula.
Now my 2nd is 5 months old and B"H I'm still pumping. Sometimes it gets annoying, especially when things get busy (I'm a teacher) and all of a sudden I remember I forgot to pump so I have to "double" pump. But generally B"H it's going well.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 8:11 pm
who said pumping comes first. we lose a lot of time with my coworker pumping. I insist she at least answer the phone.

PinkandYellow

Post Tue, May 30 2006, 1:24 am
I pump on my lunch break so I don't take time from anyone except myself.

SaraG, what type of pump does your co-worker have and how long does she pump for e/ time.

I pump twice a day and ds is 10 mths. when can I replace bottle of milk at babysitter with solids (he now gets one bottle and one solids) if he is ebf at home?

Meema2Kids

Post Tue, May 30 2006, 8:17 am
People weren't complaining that my pumping was taking time. They complained that they felt uncomfortable about it. Since I work with 99% men, this made me uncomfortable, that they were thinking about me pumping... it was a tznius issue for me.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, May 30 2006, 10:05 am
Meema2Kids wrote:
People weren't complaining that my pumping was taking time. They complained that they felt uncomfortable about it. Since I work with 99% men, this made me uncomfortable, that they were thinking about me pumping... it was a tznius issue for me.

Why does anyone have to know? I don't think my boss knew...I had a nice, classy bag for the pump and went into a different office (I don't have my own) and pumped there -- no one was the wiser.
I agree, it could have been uncomfortable, but there are ways to work around it if you really want to.

Meema2Kids

Post Tue, May 30 2006, 11:44 am
I tried to be discreet but the fact was, people knew. There's nothing I can do to change that now. Maybe if I get another job someday while I still have babies...

So, I quit working full time in the office after I had my next baby. Nursing was too important to me. (That wasn't the only reason but it was a big one.) Now, I am coming into the office one full day a week for awhile, I bought my pump but I am nervous to use it, probably will pump in the bathroom. Confused

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, May 30 2006, 1:02 pm
Meema2Kids wrote:
I tried to be discreet but the fact was, people knew. There's nothing I can do to change that now. Maybe if I get another job someday while I still have babies...

So, I quit working full time in the office after I had my next baby. Nursing was too important to me. (That wasn't the only reason but it was a big one.) Now, I am coming into the office one full day a week for awhile, I bought my pump but I am nervous to use it, probably will pump in the bathroom. Confused

Is there a room -- like a conference room you can pump in, or even some storage room you can lock the door instead of resorting to the bathroom?

BTW, pumping I feel is one of the hardest things a mother can do for her kids, and I really am amazed at how many people sacrifice their confort (physical and emotional) for the needs of their babies!

shalhevet

Post Tue, May 30 2006, 3:49 pm
I used to pump myself dry just before I left in the morning, and then come home "full to the brim" and nurse from one side and pump from the other (not at the same time, but you could). When the baby was maybe 10-12 months I gave solids when I was out and nursed when at home. I work part time, and this won't work for everyone, but it did for me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics