Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
ISO VEGETARIAN RECIPES FOR SHABBOS DINNER!!!

ValleyMom

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 4:57 pm
Yep.
My worst nightmare come true.
Vegetarians coming to our Meat Loving Family for Shabbos dinner.

shock

If you have any suggestions for a menu & recipes please respond!

Any and all suggestions will be humbly accepted!

Thanks!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 5:33 pm
(Do they eat fish or eggs?)

sequoia

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 5:35 pm
I assume that as vegetarians they eat dairy and eggs but not fish (unless they've vegan, in which case they eat only plant-based food. And yes, I know frum [yeshivish] vegans).

ValleyMom

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 6:37 pm
I dont think they eat fish or eggs so I need recipes that are all veggie... OMIGOD I hate this sooooooo much!
UGH!

yaelinIN

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 6:49 pm
OK, Valley Mom, don't panic, it could be worse!!! You could have vegan guests who are allergic to wheat and soy too (like I did many eons ago)! Wink

Now, on to the menu...

You make megadarra (lentils and rice mixed with lots of sauteed onions) -- I think there are recipes on here, if not, PM me and I will give you a great one. You could make a red beans and rice made with veggie sausage rather than real meat. You could make bulgur/brown rice and bean patties with a tomato sauce. There are lots of options and your family might even enjoy them!

PM me for more suggestions...

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 6:52 pm
not sure about appetizer...
zucchini soup
quinoa stuffed portobello mushrooms
make lots of side dishes to fill up on

exhausted

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 6:53 pm
You could make couscous with a middle eastern slant and a rattatoule with chickpeas go go on top. Cabbage and noodle, roasted pumpkin, sesame noodles, any kind of vegetarian soup. First course can be a half avocado with other veggies on top. There are also good recipes for vegetarian cholent with kishke. Tofu loaf, tofu stir fry. Good luck!

Soul on fire

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 7:01 pm
I have made these as nuggets or cutlets

Chickpea Nuggets/Cutlets
Ingredients
Nuggets
1 can chickpeas (rinsed and peeled)
1 med all purpose potato (this starchier the better)
2 cloves of garlic (pressed or finely minced)
1/4 C water
1 tsp "chicken" consomme/bouillon
bread crumbs (enough to make the nuggets mold-able)
drizzle of olive oil
generous sprinkles of the following spices/herbs
thyme
sage
paprika
garlic salt
pepper
poultry seasoning
and any other spices you would like

Breading
1/2 C flour
1/2 C corn meal
1-2 tsp each
garlic salt
pepper
paprika
(add any other seasonings you like)

1/2 C milk ( I used rice milk)

Boil potato whole in skin till soft, drain and cool.
Remove chickpea skins.

Once potato is cooled remove skin and cut into smaller pieces. Put in food processor and blend till smooth. ( I did this with a little rice milk)Add chick peas and garlic and blend until a ball forms (this is a good consistency because it is starchy enough to form into nuggets)
Add olive oil, bouillon, and spices...mix well. Add water bit by bit until moist (you don't want it liquidy) then add bread crumbs. It should have a cookie dough consistency.

In a separate mixing bowl combine breading ingredients EXCEPT milk.
Put milk in another bowl.
Form bean mixture into small nuggets. Dip into milk then into breading. Coat completely.
Heat a frying pan with a some oil and lightly fry each side of the nugget until golden brown.

Enjoy with fries and various dips or sauces. Yum!

Vegetarian Shephards Pie (you can omit the cheese)

1/2 C lentils
6-8 white potatoes (and whatever you use to make mashed potatoes)
2 yams
1 box frozen mix veggies
1 tbs minced garlic
1 tsp thyme (or whatever spices you want)
s&p to taste
handful of shredded cheddar cheese
2 tsps "beef" consomme
1 tsp "chicken" consomme
2 tbsp tomato puree
water
I boiled the white potatoes and yams...made the white potatoes into mashed and set the yams aside.
I cooked the lentils with Worcestershire sauce, steak sauce, "beef" & "chicken" consomme, thyme, salt, pepper, garlic, tomato puree, water...I let them cook for a long time. I start with 1 1/2 c water and add 1/2 c at a time as needed till thoroughly cooked adding the seasonings as I go.
then I boiled some frozen mixed veggies with some salt and pepper.
once everything was cooked I layered it in the baking dish.
smashed yams, lentils, mixed veggies, then mashed potatoes. I cooked it in the oven @ 400 degrees till it was heated through...20 mins-ish.
then I put it under the broiler to brown the potatoes, then added cheese and cooked back in the oven till it was melted.
it was so yummy!!

Bean Wellington

Ingredients
1 sheet of thawed puffed pastry or pie crust (homemade or store bought)

1/2 C dry lentils
1 tbsp steak sauce
1 tbsp Worcestershire(watch out for those anchovies) sauce
1 bay leaf
1 tsp thyme
2 cloves of pressed or minced garlic
2 tbsp tomato paste or puree
2-3 tsp "beef" bouillon
1-2 tsp "chicken" bouillon
salt & pepper to taste
water

2 boiled potatoes
3-4 tbsp rice, soy, almond, or dairy milk
1/2 C carrots
1/2-1 Onion
1/4 C - 1/2 C ground flavored crackers or flour or breadcrumbs

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cook lentils in water with steak sauce, worchestershire sauce, garlic, tomato puree, bouillon, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper . Start with 1 C of water stirring often, adding water 1/2 c at a time till lentils are soft and water is cooked away. This will probably take about 2 1/2 C water total and 30 +/- mins. When cooked to soft consistency set aside to cool, remove bay leaf.

In a food processor combine boiled potatoes (no skins) and milk. Process till smooth. Set aside in mixing bowl. Process carrots and onion till fine. Add to mixing bowl. Add ground crackers/flour/breadcrumbs. Mix together well.

Put lentils in the food processor and blend till coarse. Add to mixing bowl of other ingredients. Mix well.

Oil a piece of parchment paper or foil. Lay out mixture onto oiled paper/foil and form into loaf. Wrap tightly. Cook for 1 1/2 hrs. till firm.

When finished cooking allow to cool enough to handle it. While it cools roll out pastry or crust on floured surface. It should be large enough to fit loaf. Lay loaf in the center of the pastry and wrap sides in. Lay on cookie sheet seam side down. Brush top lightly with olive oil. Cook till golden brown about 20-25 mins.
Enjoy with gravy or ketchup.

NOTE: Unless you buy vegan worchestershire sauce I would omit this as it contains anchovies and that will not go over well with vegetarian guests.

stuffed peppers
recipe 1 recipe 2

eggplant caponata

spicy asian noodles

gnocchi with sage butter sauce

ValleyMom

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 7:13 pm
I am eternally grateful for you taking the time out to post such an elaborate post. You are truly an angel!
OMIGOD I just love you right now. I am hoping for a few more posts before I head out to shop for weird random groceries.
Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!
Go buy a lottery ticket or a scratcher... I am praying you win Wink Wink Wink

Soul on fire

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 7:14 pm
oh and these serve 4-6 so you may need to adjust the amount.

smileyface

Post Thu, Jun 03 2010, 12:18 am
I have vegetarians over all the time, this is what I do. I do not drive myself crazy.
We normaly have fish and 3 salads to start. So the vegetarian just eat the salads. then we have soup. So either I just make a vege soup or I make chicken soup(my hb cant live w/out it) and just give the vegetatian vege soup. Then for the main course I usualy make a mushroom bereka w/sauce for the vegetaian and the vegetarian can have everything else other then the chicken or meat.
Hope that was helpfull.

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Jun 03 2010, 12:33 am
smileyface wrote:
I have vegetarians over all the time, this is what I do. I do not drive myself crazy.
We normaly have fish and 3 salads to start. So the vegetarian just eat the salads. then we have soup. So either I just make a vege soup or I make chicken soup(my hb cant live w/out it) and just give the vegetatian vege soup. Then for the main course I usualy make a mushroom bereka w/sauce for the vegetaian and the vegetarian can have everything else other then the chicken or meat.
Hope that was helpfull.

I was going to suggest something like this too.

Stop panicking, it's not the end of the world.

Make sure your side dishes are all pareve and simply have a vegetarian addition for the main course.

For starters, fresh fruit or a vegetable noodle or vegetable matzahball soup. Or potato bourekas with mushroom and onion sauce.

Soul on fire

Post Thu, Jun 03 2010, 11:14 am
ValleyMom wrote:
I am eternally grateful for you taking the time out to post such an elaborate post. You are truly an angel!
OMIGOD I just love you right now. I am hoping for a few more posts before I head out to shop for weird random groceries.
Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!
Go buy a lottery ticket or a scratcher... I am praying you win Wink Wink Wink

me? lol...you're very welcome...I just hope if you make any of these you all enjoy them. I will tell dh to pick up a lottery ticket on his way home...lol.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics