Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Do u get paid for Jewish Holidays?
Previous  1  2

RM24

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 4:07 pm
Succos and Pesach including chol hamoed are paid and are counted as two weeks paid vacation. Rest of the Yomim tovim are paid as everyone here gets paid by the week, and most are only a day or two out of a workweek.

Fox

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 4:27 pm
As a frum employer, my business is closed on all Jewish holidays, and we close at 1 p.m. Erev Shabbos / Erev Yom Tov. However, we are open on "legal" holidays such as Xmas, Thanksgiving, Memorial Day, Casimir Pulaski Day, etc., and everyone comes to work. Over the years, most of our employees have taken off an additional 2 weeks during the year for vacation or personal time, but we've only had to make an official policy for one employee who was determined to game the system.

nicole81

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 5:08 pm
rosh hashanah, yom kippur, and pesach are paid holiday days for the entire department of education in nyc.

any other yom tov I have the option of taking as a paid sick day, or retaining the day in my sick bank and not getting paid.

I usually take the days paid.

rivka6

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 6:05 pm
like so many here in the states, they count as my vacation days. I do enjoy those christian days off, though, one can get alot done if its not your holiday!
I do have one advantage. I am a physician in a call group where I am the only Jew. I never ever have to take emergency calls for any holidays. (except shabbos)

smilethere

Post Thu, Jun 03 2010, 7:55 am
I work for a frum organisation so yes, however I officially get 4 weeks vacation, one pesach, one sukkos, and another two (10 days) of my choosing over the year.
Rosh hashana, shavous etc, are not considered part of my vacation but I do get them paid.

Luckily enough I got off Erev shavous paid - I wasn't going to go in anyway because I had no childcare, but because nobody turned up at the office, they paid everybody...

I can take off more days unpaid, which is great. My job is pretty flexible, nothing that can't wait a day or two (usually) so in emergencies I never have to get a substitute.

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Jun 04 2010, 10:57 am
I take yomtov off from my paid vacation entitlement (25days plus whatever accrued unused from the previous year). I'm fanatic about counting how many days I need to save for yomtov--11 days this year and 2011 since most chagim fall in the middle of the weak, except for YK. 8 days for 2012 since pesach and shavuot overlap weekends.

We have a shared office calendar at our company's system, I have another frum colleague working in the same department. Our assistant just realised that we seem to be coordinating our holidays together till he explained they're all religious holidays. (Yup I alredy got an approval for time off for next year pesach.)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics