Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Food Stamps

malky800

Post Sun, May 30 2010, 6:48 pm
Anyone out there knows the logistics of food stamps?
I always thought that the requirement for food stamps was you can't have any savings.
yet, I have a few friends that just got on and they have savings.
Is that true? I happen to have alot of money in savings we are holding off for a house, but not very much in day to day money.
Should I attempt to get on?

amother

Post Sun, May 30 2010, 7:01 pm
Yes- I believe they changed the requirements and no longer look at assets.

youngbubby

Post Sun, May 30 2010, 7:02 pm
every state has different guidelines. The only way u will find out the guidelines in your state is to call a worker from a Jewish organization and they will be upfront with you. You then don't have to worry about contacting the state and having them check up on you. I will give u some advice...be up front with the food stamp people...where I teach in the inner city there is a lot of fraud going on with the food stamp industry. People sell their bridge card which is like selling their stamps for half the face value. People claim kids they don't have..ect. Food stamps are a wonderful help and I hope u get them as soon as u are able to....

NYmommy

Post Sun, May 30 2010, 9:31 pm
Does anyone know the maximum income allowed for a family of 5 to get food stamps?

Plonis

Post Sun, May 30 2010, 10:23 pm
http://www.otda.state.ny.us/ma.....ility

mommalah

Post Sun, May 30 2010, 10:57 pm
I wouldn't touch this thread with a ten foot pole!! Help

Mrs. XYZ

Post Sun, May 30 2010, 10:59 pm
mommalah wrote:
I wouldn't touch this thread with a ten foot pole!! Help

So why did you? Wink

mommalah

Post Sun, May 30 2010, 11:03 pm
"Touching it" would involve presenting my opinion on the subject, which I did not. Wink

imaamy

Post Sun, May 30 2010, 11:05 pm
OK I will. If you have money for food and just don't want to spend it on food (and saving for a house is great, don't get me wrong), why should someone else who works hard too have to foot your grocery bill???

lalelo

Post Sun, May 30 2010, 11:36 pm
we are under the amount as in paystub wise, however my husband earns commision from time to time, so would it be a problem if our taxes have more money at the end of the tax year?
we can still get foodstamps right?

amother

Post Sun, May 30 2010, 11:40 pm
Each family size has a certain amount they are allowed to make per month. Depending on how much you have coming in thats how much you get in foodstamps. They have some sort of formula.

Lalelo Your husband can get paid commission as long as you report it and it is under the amount that you are allowed to make.

amother

Post Sun, May 30 2010, 11:49 pm
If ur income is inconsistent, like you get a large sum @ the end of the year, you should give them records for a longer period of time so they can see the average. We freelance and altho we would like to be off all govt assistance, right now it's not fair to the kids, because less $$ for food means just plain less food. They won't starve,but they won't eat well either unless we can afford fresh fruits and vegetables which are crazy expensive here.

youngbubby

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 8:06 am
To the person who said I wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole has never been there and done it...don't judge people who need help just try and help them help themselves. If people need food and need food stamps then I say let them get them...let them feed their kids. I teach in Detroit and see lots of corruption that dosent mean I don't want to see my students have food on the table..come on stop judging and help out. For the person with money in the bank the gov. has rules and guidelines and its up to them to tell a person if they can get the stamps or not..not us.

ysydmom

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 2:39 pm
You should try to get on. PM me for some info. I'd be glad to help.

BusyBeeMommy

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 8:56 pm
imaamy wrote:
OK I will. If you have money for food and just don't want to spend it on food (and saving for a house is great, don't get me wrong), why should someone else who works hard too have to foot your grocery bill???

There are rules and guidelines for qualifying for these assistance programs. The gov't may not have the same principles and sentiments as you do, and if one qualifies for this assistance within their guidelines, there is no problem for them to apply.

mommalah

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 11:09 pm
youngbubby wrote:
To the person who said I wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole has never been there and done it...don't judge people who need help just try and help them help themselves. If people need food and need food stamps then I say let them get them...let them feed their kids. I teach in Detroit and see lots of corruption that dosent mean I don't want to see my students have food on the table..come on stop judging and help out. For the person with money in the bank the gov. has rules and guidelines and its up to them to tell a person if they can get the stamps or not..not us.

It says, "if you are working hard and still have trouble making ends meet, you may be eligible".
Doesn't sound like op is struggling. It sounds like she is struggling to save for a house and wants a handout to help with food while she is saving. While I understand that they have increased the amounts of assets and savings one can have and still be eligible, op likely has a good amount in savings for a house, and would likely not qualify (if she is truthful to disclose her assets to the food stamp program). I'm sorry but the money that is in savings should go to put food on your table.

And btw, I have been there and done that. A few years ago dh suddenly lost his job and we had no savings and applied and were recipients for a few months until he got a new job. Nothing wrong with that.

If op is honest to disclose all her income and assets and is approved, great! If the gov't wants to give her food stamps knowing that there is money in savings that could otherwise be used for food, great. If she mets the requirements I don't have any issue.

malky800

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 2:35 pm
How does it work? you can only use it for food? do the big grocery chains, superwalmart, shoprite, accept food stamps?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics