Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Child Not Walking. Has Bad Ear Infection

amother

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 10:16 am
Help. Is this normal? My baby (who's been walking for 2 months already) is refusing to walk today. He's crawling around and won't stand up. He has a really bad ear infection.

Is this normal?

amother

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 10:18 am
If the ear infection is so bad, the pain of it could be too much to bear upright. I know when I have a terrible migraine I often am bed-ridden or walk hunched over.

That said, put in a call to your pediatrician. Did your baby have shots in the past week or so? On antibiotics for the ear infection? Could be, chas v'shalom, a reaction to those things, but my assumption is the first thing (from pain).

I do think you should call asap, and I'm sure Be"H all will be well. Refuah sheleima.

louche

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 10:20 am
The inner ear controls balance and so his balance might be out of whack. However, it's more likely that he feels miserable and hasn't the energy to put in the effort to stand and walk.

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 10:22 am
Yes, it is normal. The balance of a person is connected to the hearing/ears. If it's a bad infection, it entirely makes sense. However, I would call the pedi just to make sure the infection isn't very serious, or a busted ear drum or something.

My niece had this and the mom was such a hypochondriac that she spent over 24 hours subjecting her daughter to all kinds of tests (and MRIs) in the hospital. It was insane. Just double check with the doctor that it's ok, or if he wants to see her to rule out something more serious, but it is not out of the ordinary. You can google ears and balance or something.

hadasa

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 10:33 am
My sister had this. Her daughter wouldn't put her foot on the ground. The doctor said the pain from the ear was radiating to her leg. He especially came to the house when she was sleeping and moved her legs around, with no reaction. He touched her ear and she started to cry.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics