Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Blintzes anyone?

willow

Post Wed, May 31 2006, 9:42 am
Does anyone ele have trouble making them Confused I just can't seem to get the crepe part right. It either burns, tears or is not round. Exploding anger Exploding anger
I am really frusterated as this is taking forever.(Pleasedon't suggest to buy my dh really wants this|)

supermom

Post Wed, May 31 2006, 9:56 am
I use the recipe in the spice and spirit cookbook. Are you putting a tiny bit of oil in your pan? Swirling it so it comes to a thin pancake? Waiting just a bit until it dries a bit before taking it out? I use a small frying pan that I usually make eggs in. Usually by me the first two or three comes out bad news maybe becuase the oil is not hot enough. I realized while making it this year that pam spray is the best for some odd reason it just slipped off for me.

willow

Post Wed, May 31 2006, 9:58 am
ok I will try the new batch with pam

chocolate moose

Post Wed, May 31 2006, 10:01 am
a crepe maker helps a lot.

there are different kinds of frozen ones you can buy, too.

shoy18

Post Wed, May 31 2006, 10:02 am
I found that the less oil you use the better, if you have a non stick pan it just put a tiny spray of it and watch it like a hawk. I make pancakes without oil in the pan they always come out like the restarants with the nice brown on both sides. same with crapes just not until they turn brown

mali

Post Wed, May 31 2006, 11:46 am
I make blintzes a lot, and this method always works:
prepare the batter in a pitcher with a hand mixer. then heat a bit of oil - I wipe it with a paper towel. when the oil is hot, pour in a nice amount of batter - enough to completely cover the pan easily. then pour out the excess batter back into the pitcher. fry the crepe only on one side, and place on large plate. fill the blintzes, with the fried side up, so that when you fry them again, you'll be frying the other side. start rolling from the side that doesn't have that extra piece that was formed on the side of the pan that you poured the batter out of. that will be the last flap when you close the blintz. paste that flap down with leftover batter.
the crepes come out nice and thin, and it's easy enough even for your husband to do!

rivki

Post Wed, May 31 2006, 11:48 am
I agree - no ( or little) oil - med heat, pour and tip pan so it spreads evenly. when dry slowly peel off with 2 hands. gluck

rosehill

Post Wed, May 31 2006, 4:49 pm
It took me more than 10 years to figure this out!
I finally started using a cast iron skillet (correctly seasoned, of course). That way, I can use a metal spatula, and I can make sure the crepes are very very thin. I also use a ladel to pour the batter into the pan, and it took me quite some time to work out exactly how full the ladel needs to be to fill the pan just enough.
As I tell my kids, practice practice practice.

batya_d

Post Wed, May 31 2006, 5:19 pm
Easiest blintzes recipe EVER:

Buy Tuv Taam frozen blintzes, then fry.

(ridiculously expensive (5.49 for 4 by me), but they really are the best, and it's only Shavuos once a year...)

amother

Post Wed, May 31 2006, 5:54 pm
I like your way of thinking batya

willow

Post Thu, Jun 01 2006, 4:27 am
Cheers for mali ( thanks to everyone one else) your detailed description really helped Very Happy

shopaholic

Post Thu, Jun 01 2006, 10:58 am
Thanks everyone. I made blintzes for the 1st time yesterday & the crepes came out great. Only problem was that I had leftover cheese filling & some blintzes feel like they could have had a little more. Oh well. Same thing happens with my lasagna. The first few layers don't have as much cheese because I don't want to use it up. Then at the end I realize how much I have left & quickly use it.

mali

Post Tue, Jun 06 2006, 1:52 pm
willow wrote:
Cheers for mali ( thanks to everyone one else) your detailed description really helped Very Happy
oh, good! I'm so happy it worked!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus