Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Walking on toes

bnm

Post Mon, Jun 21 2010, 11:24 pm
my 1.5 year old walks on her toes, is it something to be concerned about or should I just sign her up for ballet classes?

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Jun 21 2010, 11:26 pm
All the time?

bnm

Post Mon, Jun 21 2010, 11:29 pm
no but often

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Jun 21 2010, 11:30 pm
So firstly know that she can walk normally if she wants to. I would suggest you ask a PT, but I can tell you that I loved walking on my toes and my sister and I used to do that for hours just for the kicks of it (but we were older).

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Jun 21 2010, 11:31 pm
This is common among toddlers when they're still somewhat new at walking. If she starts doing it all the time, or it doesn't become less common over some time, you can mention it to the dr to check for any other causes.

bnm

Post Mon, Jun 21 2010, 11:33 pm
thanks. I was wondering how concerned I'm supposed to be. She recently had an OT eval, I had mentioned that she walks funny, she hadn't been walking on her toes then. its a few weeks already that she is toing. If she gets approved for OT the therapist said she will recommend a PT eval. I'll wait and see what happens.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Jun 21 2010, 11:41 pm
If you already have therapists evaling, can't hurt to have them check it out! If a child doesn't outgrow toe walking, a therapist (OT or PT, depending on the issue) can address it. But at her age it's completely normal and very common, so please don't stress! Smile

Isramom8

Post Tue, Jun 22 2010, 12:26 am
Why did your dd have an OT eval - does she have other concerning behaviors? I ask because while toe walking can be common in toddlerhood, it is also one symptom of autism, of a neurological problem and of several genetic disorders.

What else does she do?

bnm

Post Tue, Jun 22 2010, 12:29 am
she has sensory issues

Isramom8

Post Tue, Jun 22 2010, 12:53 am
Toe walking can be because of sensory issues.
So your question is, why does she have sensory issues? If it won't freak you out, you can look up symptoms of the conditions I mentioned and see if they fit. Maybe you will recognize a pattern. (Or hopefully realize that she doesn't have any of those conditions.)

bnm

Post Tue, Jun 22 2010, 12:59 am
Isramom8 wrote:
So your question is, why does she have sensory issues? If it won't freak you out, you can look up symptoms of the conditions I mentioned and see if they fit. Maybe you will recognize a pattern. (Or hopefully realize that she doesn't have any of those conditions.)

I'm too scared to check up these conditions, prefer to bury my head in the sand another few days till we get to the meeting. Senory issues does run in the family, can't I just blame genetics?

Isramom8

Post Tue, Jun 22 2010, 7:21 am
bnm wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:

I'm too scared to check up these conditions, prefer to bury my head in the sand another few days till we get to the meeting. Senory issues does run in the family, can't I just blame genetics?

Firstly, a PT eval would not necessarily pick up on these things. You have to be your child's advocate and tell the doctors what you want looked into. Do you know how many people that could have been helped when they were younger go undiagnosed for years?

Secondly, you may be able to blame genetics, but why be satisfied with simply saying "it runs in the family" if it is causing or could cause challenges for your child? Don't you want to find out how you can help her, if she needs any help?

If it's "nothing" but sensory issues, then you may "just" want to become an expert on that, to find ways to make your daughter's life more comfortable.

No heads in sand - once we are parents, it's time to stop playing on the beach all day. Wink

The perspective I'm coming from is that right now I got doctors to look into something I think my child may have, and believe me, no one thought of it in all these years that my child and we have suffered.

bnm

Post Tue, Jun 22 2010, 8:11 am
Isramom8 wrote:
bnm wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:

Firstly, a PT eval would not necessarily pick up on these things. You have to be your child's advocate and tell the doctors what you want looked into. Do you know how many people that could have been helped when they were younger go undiagnosed for years?

Secondly, you may be able to blame genetics, but why be satisfied with simply saying "it runs in the family" if it is causing or could cause challenges for your child? Don't you want to find out how you can help her, if she needs any help?

If it's "nothing" but sensory issues, then you may "just" want to become an expert on that, to find ways to make your daughter's life more comfortable.

No heads in sand - once we are parents, it's time to stop playing on the beach all day. Wink

The perspective I'm coming from is that right now I got doctors to look into something I think my child may have, and believe me, no one thought of it in all these years that my child and we have suffered.

I'm not totaly burying my head in the sand-I did have her evaluated. as I said the meeting to discuss services is IY"H this week, hopefully we can start therapy right after that and I will discuss it with the OT.

imokay

Post Tue, Jun 22 2010, 4:31 pm
my 5 year old ds also does occasional toe walking- did this since he began walking.
he also has sensory issues and had ot and pt. in all other areas he's more than fine b"h.
the therapy didn't really help and he doesn't qualify for it anymore- even though he is low tone and has "sensory issues" he compensates for them in other ways.
it's not really a big deal and if that's your only concern I wudn't be too concerned at all.

oh and I wudnt advise u to start looking things up online- you'll usually only find scary possibilities and no real answers and in most cases the answer to your query is usually the simple one- not the scary ones u find online.

hatzlacha!

HappyMommy23

Post Tue, Jun 22 2010, 5:08 pm
My son toe walked a lot and we had a lot of different concerns for different reasons, but after all was said and done it seemed to be attributed to sensory issues. We did a lot of hard pressure to his heel and such. If she had been able to walk normally I think it is less worrying. And you can try for yourself and see if she walks better after giving her feet a deep massage.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 22 2010, 11:24 pm
Children can somtimes walk on their toes due to small outgrown shoes. It would be a good idea to take her to a shoe store before the scheduled meeting. She might simply need bigger shoes.

bnm

Post Tue, Jun 22 2010, 11:57 pm
amother wrote:
Children can somtimes walk on their toes due to small outgrown shoes. It would be a good idea to take her to a shoe store before the scheduled meeting. She might simply need bigger shoes.

I should have mentioned that she does it often with her shoes off too. her shoes aren't small, they are sandles so I can see exactly where the toes are.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics