Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Bday gift for dh

alwaysquestions

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 2:08 pm
dhs bday is coming up and im out of ideas. I was thinking maybe getting something for his car since hes there most of the day. any interesting website?
maybe any1 has any ideeas for a night out? other than eating out?
any idea would be helpful.
tia

simba

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 3:58 pm
For the car you can get:
Music he likes, a pair of sunglasses ( nice ones) for driving, driving moccasins...

For a night out:
A museum, bowling, dessert and drinks...

Hope that helps!

Mommy F.

Post Tue, Jun 22 2010, 8:35 pm
does he have a GPS?

yummymummy

Post Tue, Jun 22 2010, 8:40 pm
could you give us a price range to work with?

amother

Post Tue, Jun 22 2010, 11:39 pm
My husband just had his birthday and here's what I did:
on the eve of his bday (was on a fri so didnt have the night following to do anything muktza) I surprised him with a cruise ride around manhattan - he loves water sports so a 'water activity' was sure to be good for him, but its nice, relaxing, interesting and a tad romantic for anyone (used circle line with a tour guide, so it wasnt SO romantic, but great nevertheless).
Then, we went out to a restaurant in the city.
The next day he spent doing his holy things - birthdays are like mini-yom kippur's so we spend it in holy ways, davening extra, learning extra, etc. etc.
For gifts, I got him the ipad and a leather sefer with his name.
B"H, worked out real well and he loved it all.
amother bec. if a/o knows I did this for my dh will know this is my screen name!

amother

Post Wed, Jun 23 2010, 8:33 am
If he's so holy why does he need an ipad?

mommy#1

Post Wed, Jun 23 2010, 5:03 pm
amother wrote:
If he's so holy why does he need an ipad?

ok, ill admit I thought people were going a DROP overboard on saying that people post anonymously for dumb reasons. sorry, but I had to post this-now I dont think so anymore. the previous amother was just mentioning that her dh spends his birthdays (im assuming hebrew ones
) doing devarim shebikdusha. maybe she was bragging, but it didnt sound like it.
if you want to make fun, at least do it under your screen name!!

yentadevosha

Post Wed, Jun 23 2010, 8:19 pm
nice challa dekel?

sky

Post Wed, Jun 23 2010, 8:22 pm
Hanger for the back of his seat for his jacket
GPS
IPOD or MP3 player loaded with shiurim or his favourite music
car starter (for the summer ac)
car cooler, either a good lunchbox or one that plugs in the outlet (fill with his favourite goodies, birthday cake, etc)

amother

Post Wed, Jun 23 2010, 8:33 pm
Thank you mommy1 for your defense.
I was shocked when I read that post/question.
Yes, my husband spends his birthday doing devarim shbikdushim and tries his best to spend it in the holiest way possible, doing a cheshbon nefesh, learning extra, davening with more kavana etc. etc.
At the same time, he does live in this world and on the other 364 days of the year (well, take off shabbos and yom tov) he likes to use technology available in this world.
if u daven on yom kippur and try to be the best you can on that day, why do u use a cell phone or do any other 'davar chol'...?
I absolutley wasnt trying to show off, I was sharing what we did for his bday (and although I planned on just writing gift ideas, bec. I was sharing it as a story, I ended up writing the rest of his day).

and on another note, u probably are from those ppl who absolutley can not connect gashmiyus and ruchniyus together - I come from the type of 'yiddishkeit' where we embrace the gashmiyus and try to use it for ruchniyus - we work hard on our ruchniyus and yiddishkeit, emunah, yiras shamayim, etc. etc., yet at the same time dont shy away from gashmiyus things. we USE the gashmiyus for ruchniyus.
you seem to be the type that would fall apart if u had the gashmiyus...or are so cold to ruchniyus that you cant imagine someone having these things and at teh same time trying to be a good Jew.
Dont want to hijack the topic of this thread but think about this a litte. May be good for you.

Cookie Monster

Post Wed, Jun 23 2010, 8:37 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, my husband spends his birthday doing devarim shbikdushim and tries his best to spend it in the holiest way possible, doing a cheshbon nefesh, learning extra, davening with more kavana etc. etc.
At the same time, he does live in this world and on the other 364 days of the year (well, take off shabbos and yom tov) he likes to use technology available in this world.
if u daven on yom kippur and try to be the best you can on that day, why do u use a cell phone or do any other 'davar chol'...?
I absolutley wasnt trying to show off, I was sharing what we did for his bday (and although I planned on just writing gift ideas, bec. I was sharing it as a story, I ended up writing the rest of his day).

and on another note, u probably are from those ppl who absolutley can not connect gashmiyus and ruchniyus together - I come from the type of 'yiddishkeit' where we embrace the gashmiyus and try to use it for ruchniyus - we work hard on our ruchniyus and yiddishkeit, emunah, yiras shamayim, etc. etc., yet at the same time dont shy away from gashmiyus things. we USE the gashmiyus for ruchniyus.
you seem to be the type that would fall apart if u had the gashmiyus...or are so cold to ruchniyus that you cant imagine someone having these things and at teh same time trying to be a good Jew.
Dont want to hijack the topic of this thread but think about this a litte. May be good for you.

Well Said! Thumbs Up

yummymummy

Post Wed, Jun 23 2010, 8:51 pm
amother wrote:

Very nicely put but you certainly did not have to respond to that ridiculous comment some amother posted. I thought your post was really nice and I hope that your DH does the same for you by your birthday! As an aside, how does your DH like his Ipad? I was thinking of getting one as well.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 23 2010, 8:59 pm
Truth is I also thought twice about responding, but...felt I had to put things in their place.

Actually, this is the first bday that worked out so well by me! every other one I plan all kinds of grand things and then only something works out! He, on the other hand, does really special stuff for me every time, that actually happens (not that this is a contest or something, just that its a time to 'spoil' each other and show, in physical ways, how much we value and treasure each other B"H!)

He didnt use the ipad yet bec. I originally got the wifi, but then we thought the 3G would be better bec. then we have the option of having internet if we're going somewhere (like the country or on a vacation somewhere) - you could pay for the internet by the month for pretty cheap, so I changed the one I got for the wifi+3G. I'll let you know how it is when he starts playing with it!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics