Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Attn European Moms (not UK) - how do you spell?

amother

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 2:30 pm
Yehuda or Jehuda,
Ezra or Esra,
Zippora or Tzipora?
etc

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 2:32 pm
Yehuda for Hebrew, Juda (I think?) for the secular
Ezra.
Tsipora

Chocoholic

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 2:34 pm
Jehuda, Jehoeda or Yehuda
Tzipora, Tsipora, Tsippora

It really depends WHERE you live Smile

amother

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 2:36 pm
OP

German speaking country

Chocoholic

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 2:41 pm
So it would be Jehuda & Tzipora or Tsipora (some people use double p, but I find that ugly).

amother

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 2:52 pm
Chocoholic wrote:
So it would be Jehuda & Tzipora or Tsipora (some people use double p, but I find that ugly).

yeah, I know how it SHOULD be spelled, but I wonder if people REALLY do german spelling or is it rather english spelling, so that it would not look weird for an English speaker?

Or do they avoid names with alternative spelling?
Again do they do Schimon or Shimon? Etc.

I know of someone who used English spelling even though lived in Germany.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 2:56 pm
To be honest, they don't do English spelling more than English people do German spelling. It would be pretty random.

baba

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 3:09 pm
German speaking countries definately use a J and not a y. I think the s z you see both.

sarahd

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 3:24 pm
amother wrote:
OP

German speaking country

Jehuda or Jehudo, Zipora and Esra. Also Jossi, Jissochor, Jochewed, Zwi and Schmuel. And can you transliterate Meusche for me? LOL

amother

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 3:57 pm
sarahd wrote:
amother wrote:
OP

German speaking country

Jehuda or Jehudo, Zipora and Esra. Also Jossi, Jissochor, Jochewed, Zwi and Schmuel. And can you transliterate Meusche for me? LOL

lol!!!
does anyone really do Meusche? Or Esra? Does it not look weird? The germans actually do kevin not Kewin and Jennifer not Dtschennifer =)

Chocoholic

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 4:09 pm
Don't go toooo far amother LOL Maybe look at the address or membership list of the shul to get an idea Wink beshaa tova!

sarahd

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 4:17 pm
amother wrote:
sarahd wrote:
amother wrote:
OP

German speaking country

lol!!!
does anyone really do Meusche? Or Esra? Does it not look weird? The germans actually do kevin not Kewin and Jennifer not Dtschennifer =)

Yes to both Meusche and Esra and no, why should it look weird to someone who reads German and not English? Kevin and Jennifer are English names, so they get spelled the English way. Moshe and Ezra aren't English, so why should the English spelling trump the German one in a German-speaking country?

Having said all the above, children with one British or American parent often do use the English spelling of their names.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 4:36 pm
sarahd wrote:
amother wrote:
sarahd wrote:
amother wrote:
OP

German speaking country

lol!!!

Yes to both Meusche and Esra and no, why should it look weird to someone who reads German and not English? Kevin and Jennifer are English names, so they get spelled the English way. Moshe and Ezra aren't English, so why should the English spelling trump the German one in a German-speaking country?

Having said all the above, children with one British or American parent often do use the English spelling of their names.

True
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names