Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What to do when earring holes close up

c.c.cookie

Post Wed, Jun 30 2010, 1:13 pm
My 9 year old daughter got her ears pierced a few months ago. Two weeks ago she got an infection from one earring (the ear lobe was red and swollen) so we took them out. Tonight I tried putting the earrings back in, but the holes are completely closed up! I tried getting the earring in, and she started bleeding. Any advice what I can do? Is the only answer to re-pierce the ears, or is there some tip how to get the holes open?

mindyme

Post Wed, Jun 30 2010, 1:31 pm
the same thing happened to my dd. We waited a few months, till she felt she was ready, and re-pierced. We were also much more careful with cleaning and turning the earring this time.
I don't know of any way to do it yourself.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Jun 30 2010, 1:34 pm
It sounds like they closed up and needs to be repierced. I had my dd ears pierced when she was 2 weeks old. She always wore earrings, but when she was around 4-5, she started getting infections by the hole, so she stopped wearing earrings for a couple of years. When she was 9, she wanted to start wearing them and at first it seemed like the hole closed, but in the end it wasn't. When I say it closed, I really couldn't do it, but she was able to one day. With your dd, she only got it pierced a few months ago, so it might have closed, especially since she bleeds when you try.

c.c.cookie

Post Wed, Jun 30 2010, 3:11 pm
Thanks! I don't know what to do, because this is her second major infection (the last time her earlobe literally doubled in size!) in only 3 months. Her ears are obviously sensitive. Is it worth re-piercing, or are we going to be busy with infections all the time anyway? Anyone had experience with sensitive ears?

Peanut2

Post Wed, Jun 30 2010, 4:38 pm
I got my ears pierced when I was six. They got infected, closed, and repierced three times after that.
Maybe you should wait a while until dd can take better care of her ears? Like, until she's bat mitzva or something?

After a certain age (13 or so?), I handled infections on my own. I knew when to grab some rubbing alcohol and put on antibiotic ointment and haven't had to take them out and get them re-pierced since.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Jun 30 2010, 5:09 pm
I forgot to mention that b"h she doesn't get infections anymore. She's 12 now, k"h and maybe she her skin somehow matured if that's possible.

c.c.cookie

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 1:41 am
Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics