Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Teaneck
Previous  1  2

nylon

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 4:31 pm
I always enjoy it when people post anonymously about their neighbors' shortcomings in tzniut.

Barbara

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 4:48 pm
nylon wrote:
I always enjoy it when people post anonymously about their neighbors' shortcomings in tzniut.

Maybe they figure that if Yael won't tell the moderators who posted the lashon hara, she won't tell Hashem either. Fortunately or unfortunately, Hashem has other ways of figuring it out.

In any case: (I) people have different conceptions and interpretations of tziniut; (ii) hate to break it to you, but non-frum people are allowed into Teaneck, and even into kosher restaurants. I even have a couple of Christian friends who can tell you about their favorite (and not-so-favorite) kosher restaurants, and not only from spending too much time with me.

elf123

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 4:52 pm
Barbara wrote:
nylon wrote:

Maybe they figure that if Yael won't tell the moderators who posted the lashon hara, she won't tell Hashem either. Fortunately or unfortunately, Hashem has other ways of figuring it out.

In any case: (I) people have different conceptions and interpretations of tziniut; (ii) hate to break it to you, but non-frum people are allowed into Teaneck, and even into kosher restaurants. I even have a couple of Christian friends who can tell you about their favorite (and not-so-favorite) kosher restaurants, and not only from spending too much time with me.

WHAT????? I am HORRIFIED. How could you say such a thing? I'm moving. Does anyone want to buy a house? Oh, wait a minute...we just sent in our tuition checks for the coming year, I don't think they are refundable...and I do like the school....maybe I'll move somewhere "frummer" where they don't let those types into the restaurants and stores, and commute my kids "out" to Teaneck....

amother

Post Fri, Jul 02 2010, 8:13 am
Barbara wrote:
nylon wrote:

What? I'm anon because I don't want to announce to the world that I live in Teaneck. I also gave specific details about my location. I'm sorry if you don't enjoy people posting anonymously about where they live. And it certainly is not lashon hara to tell someone considering moving to the area what the area is all about. I leave here, said I love it here, so I'm not necessarily saying it in a bad way. And the reality is that a segment of the modern Orthodox population does not consider tzniut as a halacha. I don't consider them sinners or non-frum because for them it's a non-issue, and their rabbis aren't telling them any differently. Sheesh.

Barbara, your second point is not accurate in this case because I'm not basing my statement on what I observe in a restaurant, I am basing it on people on know either on a very personal level, or by name or by sight (like I know this person goes to X shul and lives in X area but I don't know much else about her.) And aside from the people who will dress regularly in clothes like this (if not tank tops than certainly tshirts with cap sleeves and necklines that extend to their cleavage) you have the people that will wear skirts or longer pants when they are dressed but walk around dressed sparingly when going to and from the gym or when running in the neighborhood and will also stop to run errands dressed like that.

I will add that some of the people I do see dressed like this are from Englewood where dressing like this is standard, but it is certainly not limited to Englewood people.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating