Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Learner Permit

hardworkingmommy

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 12:13 pm
Are you allowed to drive everywhere in NY/NJ are with a learner permit or are there some driving restrictions?

Cookies n Cream

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 12:18 pm
As long as you have s/o 21 years or older with you in the car.
I think officially it's only from 5AM to 9PM, don't know if it is really enforced.

Cookies n Cream

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 12:21 pm
FROM DMV WEBSITE:

When You Have Your Permit:

General Restrictions for All Drivers with Learner Permits

No matter what age you are, if you hold a learner permit, you may not drive:

Unless accompanied by a supervising driver age 21 or older who has a license valid to operate the vehicle you are driving. For example, only a person with a motorcycle license may supervise a motorcycle learner.
In a DMV road test area.
On any street within a park in New York City, or any bridge or tunnel under the jurisdiction of the Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority.
On the Cross County, Hutchinson River, Saw Mill River, or Taconic State parkways in Westchester County.
If you are under age 18, there are other restrictions. Read the Graduated License Law section of the Resources for the Young Driver pages at this web site.

Supervised Practice Driving

Most new drivers who fail their road tests were not adequately prepared. The DMV recommends that all learners have a minimum of 50 hours of supervised practice driving before they take their road tests, with at least 15 hours at night (after sunset). It is also recommended that at least 10 hours of supervised practice driving be in moderate to heavy traffic.

hardworkingmommy

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 1:16 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:

In a DMV road test area.
On any street within a park in New York City, or any bridge or tunnel under the jurisdiction of the Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority.
On the Cross County, Hutchinson River, Saw Mill River, or Taconic State parkways in Westchester County.

Thanks for the info.

So is it ok to drive on the BQE, Belt parkway, Gowanus expressway, Garden state parkway?

Cookies n Cream

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 1:42 pm
hardworkingmommy wrote:
Cookies n Cream wrote:

In a DMV road test area.

Thanks for the info.

So is it ok to drive on the BQE, Belt parkway, Gowanus expressway, Garden state parkway?

embarrassed embarrassed I don't know which is which. I don't do highways.....
I do know that when I practiced driving in SI, I drove back to Brooklyn all the way with my instructor.
(Doesn't necessarily mean that it was legal...)

hardworkingmommy

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 2:09 pm
Dont be embarrassed I'm in the same boat but I'm not taking the test with insructor I'm more comfortable in my own car.

I wonder what will happen if a cop pulls me over when I'm driving in a restricted area Question Exclamation
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries