Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
High lead level in my 16m old!

Laughing Bag!

Post Mon, Jul 05 2010, 12:49 pm
The Dr took a blood test last week the results came back that DD 16 m old has a high lead level. I was told to keep her away from toys made in china! the dirt she picks up from the floor! Please how can I reduce the lead in her I need to go back in a month for another blood test.
I'm also wondering does anyone know if Tar used for roofing can have lead? My porch Floor is made of Roofing Tar and got me thinking if that is the problem.
Can the neighbors' removal of lead in their walls have caused a rise in my DD level. They did it right after peasach, and everything was sealed very well.
What else can I do besides for not letting DD eat dirt?!?!

shanie5

Post Mon, Jul 05 2010, 5:33 pm
You can have your house tested for lead levels. lead tastes sweet, so if (lets say) your windowsills have lead paint, and baby bites on it, she will enjoy it and do it more.

In our house, the lead they found was in the porch paint. My children had blankets that they dragged everywhere-including the porch. And then the blanket would end up in their mouths. Once we learned where the problem was, their blankets were never allowed outside, and if they did touch the porch, they went straight into the washing machine.

Most lead today is found in old paint/paint jobs. Also, they say not to grow edible food near houses that were painted with lead paint, ad the lead goes into the dirt and stays there, and will get into any food u grow.

A healthy diet helps reduce lead levels also.

Did the neighbors use licensed lead removal people? That definitely could have caused the rise in your dd.

Tehilla

Post Mon, Jul 05 2010, 5:44 pm

Last edited by Tehilla on Tue, Oct 26 2010, 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total

ChutzPAh

Post Mon, Jul 05 2010, 8:31 pm
Was the blood test done from a finger prick or actual vein? If from a fingerprick, get your child a venous blood test at the lab to confirm that the level is accurate. Sometimes the child can have substances on their fingers that make a fingerprick read high.

Laughing Bag!

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 11:15 pm
ChutzPAh wrote:
Was the blood test done from a finger prick or actual vein? If from a fingerprick, get your child a venous blood test at the lab to confirm that the level is accurate. Sometimes the child can have substances on their fingers that make a fingerprick read high.

The blood test was done from vein. it wasnt drasticly high just high enough to be cautious. However I asked today someone in this line The Tar is not the issue but I think its Most Likely the gate! as my house is newlyu renovated it cant come from there and the toys might be some cause but not enough according to him and me and my intuition its the gate on porch. Now idont afford 100$ to have it checked plus the ~500$ to have it repaired! what else can I do?

Yakira

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 11:24 pm
Do you live in NYC? How old is the place you are living? I just took a lead course and if you are renting somewhere, your landlord can really be in trouble. They need to make sure the house is lead free especially if you have a child under 6.

micki

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 11:38 pm
what was her number?
give her lots and I mean LOTS of calcium- it helps get rid or prevent lead poisoning.
OP I hope you know how serious this is .
you can prevent and try to correct it now!

althuogh if her level was very high the state would take over and check for sources of lead.

so for now make sure your floors are swept and damp mopped, and have someone coem in to find out what parts of your house have lead.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics