Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
White Whole Wheat Flour

wtvr

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 9:49 pm
Do I use it as I would regular white flour, or is it like ww flour in terms of texture and consistency?

More specifically: If I usually use a 50/50 ratio in my challah, should I still do that, or is 100% white whole wheat going to be okay?

Thanks

anonymom

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 9:52 pm
I use it half and half. Why dont you start off half and half and then gradually (each time you bake) add a little more www and see how it goes?

anon

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 9:55 pm
You can use a 100%, it will just have a more whole-wheaty flavor/texture than white flour. If you add vital wheat gluten (bought it any health food store), it will have the texture of white flour and only the flavor of whole wheat.

wtvr

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 10:01 pm
anonymom wrote:
I use it half and half. Why dont you start off half and half and then gradually (each time you bake) add a little more www and see how it goes?

That's what I was doing with regular whole wheat. Started 60/40, etc.

So what exactly is white whole wheat? Is the difference just the color?

wtvr

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 10:04 pm
anon wrote:
You can use a 100%, it will just have a more whole-wheaty flavor/texture than white flour. If you add vital wheat gluten (bought it any health food store), it will have the texture of white flour and only the flavor of whole wheat.

I understand that it won't be like 100% white flour, but will it be the same as regular whole wheat, or more like the 50/50 combo?

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Jul 09 2010, 6:55 am
I find even 50/50 gives denser and heavier consistency. Not so popular with my kids who are more accustomed to store bought white challah. My current optimal mix is about 25%-33% wholewheat (depending on how much cups of flour I'm using). The dough rises about the same way (ie don't need extra raising time) and taste/texture not too different from 100% white flour. Good advice about adding vital gluten--makes the consistency closer to professional challot.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jul 09 2010, 10:33 am
I use it 100%.

soldat

Post Fri, Jul 09 2010, 10:41 am
it really depends on the recipe.
you may want to add some vital wheat gluten as well.

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Jul 09 2010, 11:34 am
I use 100% white whole wheat flour exactly as I'd use regular white flour. There's no need to add vital wheat gluten to white whole wheat flour.

imasinger

Post Fri, Jul 09 2010, 11:38 am
I use 50/50, or 66/33, depending on how much I want the dough to rise.

wtvr

Post Fri, Jul 09 2010, 11:41 am
Thanks for your replies!

I just bit the bullet and went 100% white whole wheat. We'll see how it comes out. Don't have vital wheat gluten. I guess I'll let it rise a little longer.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Fri, Jul 09 2010, 12:03 pm
Whoah, you need to let whole wheat challah rise for longer than white? You're kidding. I usually let it rise for longer just because I never get to it in time, but I never knew that was really necessary. thank you imamother!

pecan

Post Fri, Jul 09 2010, 2:42 pm
I find the texture more similar to whole wheat. It's drier than regular flour.
My family is not fooled by it. White whole wheat doesn't go over any better than regular whole wheat.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads