Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Barium/Upper GI Scan

mommyofnineka

Post Sat, Jul 10 2010, 3:01 pm
Has anyone ever taken their baby for one of these? Any tips on how to get my 10 month old to drink the Barium and not throw it up?

downsyndrome

Post Sat, Jul 10 2010, 11:57 pm
Try to keep her extremely hungry before the test. Everything will be acceptable then, even barium.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 12:00 am
My baby had to take the barium swallow - I'm sure the Dr. told you but your baby shouldnt eat anything at all (its really hard, I know, try to get the first appointment in the morning) and dont worry - they'll be watching exactly what is happening to your baby on screen when s/he takes that liquid in, so they'll see how/why s/he's throwing up...

downsyndrome

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 12:12 am
To amother above:
It doesn't seem that OP's child's problem stems from a throwing-up issue and that is why the baby is having a barium swallow. Rather, op is afraid that the sheer yukky-ness of the barium will cause the baby to vomit it all.

OP, the doctors have seen it all and been there, done that. Your baby will not be the first one to discover that barium is gross. Hatzlacha and refuah shleymah.

mha3484

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 12:40 am
Also one more thing, the barium can change the color of bowel movements so don't get freaked out if it looks whiteish for a day or two. Hatzlacha and your baby should have a refuah shleima.

mommyofnineka

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 12:52 am
downsyndrome wrote:
To amother above:
It doesn't seem that OP's child's problem stems from a throwing-up issue and that is why the baby is having a barium swallow. Rather, op is afraid that the sheer yukky-ness of the barium will cause the baby to vomit it all.

Actually she does throw up a lot which is one of the reasons we are doing the test and why I am worried that she will throw up the Barium.

bnm

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 12:52 am
downsyndrome wrote:
Try to keep her extremely hungry before the test. Everything will be acceptable then, even barium.

not my daughter, she would rather starve. I'm nervous, we are scheduled for one this week.

mommyofnineka

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 1:29 am
bnm wrote:
downsyndrome wrote:

not my daughter, she would rather starve. I'm nervous, we are scheduled for one this week.

I feel the SAME way. Our test is also this week. How old is your daughter?

bnm

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 1:33 am
mommyofsix wrote:
bnm wrote:
downsyndrome wrote:

I feel the SAME way. Our test is also this week. How old is your daughter?

1.5, where are you doing it?

mommyofnineka

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 4:02 am
our apt. is on Tues. at the Meuhedet on HaTurim.

bnm

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 4:07 am
Tuesday too.but in ny

mommyofnineka

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 4:11 am
that's funny. I guess we can compare stories after. What are you doing up at this hour? Smile

sim

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 4:23 pm
Put it in a bottle and the baby will drink it. They do it fairly quickly, so there really isn't too much opportunity to vomit it up. My dd had it much younger, and she was constantly spitting, and it wasn't a problem. The part she hated was being pinned down under the scanner.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics