Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Chicken on the bone, in the pot...RECIPES anyone?

Hippi Dippi

Post Wed, Jul 14 2010, 1:04 pm
I don't have a meat oven...so I'm looking for a chicken (on the bone) recipe that I could make on the stove. Something REALLY yummy for Shabbos. And no "soup mix", please!
Anyone?

fiddle

Post Wed, Jul 14 2010, 1:08 pm
something plain is spice chicken, salt garlic powder and paprika, with sweet potatoes. very delicious but simple.

or ketchup with honey

or also a spiced chicken but with 1/3 cup oil 1 tsp salt , 1 tablespoon onion powder, 1 tablespoon garlic powder and 2 tablespoons of paprika brushed on the chicken

*****edited to change one of the amounts called for in the recipe

Last edited by fiddle on Wed, Jul 14 2010, 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

STovah

Post Wed, Jul 14 2010, 1:10 pm
I brown an onion (sometimes I'll thrown in a crushed clove of garlic or two), add the chicken to the pot and let it brown for a bit, add a potato or two in cubes, spice it with lots of paprika, and salt and pepper, and I add water until about halfway up the chicken, and then as needed until it's fully cooked (I usually let it cook for a long time)

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 14 2010, 1:12 pm
KBD's chicken curry recipe is really nice.

ray family

Post Wed, Jul 14 2010, 1:15 pm
this past shabbos I made s/t different and quite tasty- celery chicken.
cut up a couple of stalks of celery 2 med celery roots (into cubes) lay the chicken on top sprinkle w/ tumeric and some saffron I then added about 1 1/2 cups water. bring to a boil then lower to a med- high heat. cook for about 1 1/2 hrs. check the water from time to time to make sure it doesn't all evaporate
serve w rice.

also chicken w/ olives

chicken w/ veg. sprinked w/ spices

cubbie

Post Wed, Jul 14 2010, 1:15 pm
chicken with frozen peas and carrots, it couldn't be simpler.
Slice onion and saute till golden, add chicken pieces and saute for a couple of minutes, add packet of frozen peas & carrot, salt, pepper, generous amount of sweet paprika and enough water to just cover. Bring to the boil, lower heat, cover and cook until the liquid is thick (about 2 hours).
You can use fresh veg, and change to pretty much anything.

Also I've done with rice and baby eggplant in a pot with tomato paste, cilantro and water.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jul 14 2010, 1:35 pm
Chicken with Meatballs Fricassee

In 5 qt "dutch oven" or just a large pot

Saute in oil:
1 large onion, diced
2 stalks celery, chopped

Add 8 chicken pieces (I use leg quarters cut up - separting drumstick and thigh) and brown on all sides
Sprinkle with onion powder, garlic powder, and lots of paprika
Add 1/2 cup catsup (no need to be exact - a nice long squirt will do)
Add water to cover bottom of pot and 1/2 way up chicken

Bring to bubbling simmer. Take 1 lb chopped meat and make tiny meatballs, and add to mixture. Cook 1 hour.

When done, disolve a little corn starch (about 1 Tbsp) in a little water, and add to pot to thicken the sauce.

Yummy with rice or pasta.

yummydd

Post Wed, Jul 14 2010, 1:58 pm
STovah wrote:
I brown an onion (sometimes I'll thrown in a crushed clove of garlic or two), add the chicken to the pot and let it brown for a bit, add a potato or two in cubes, spice it with lots of paprika, and salt and pepper, and I add water until about halfway up the chicken, and then as needed until it's fully cooked (I usually let it cook for a long time)

I do basically this except I add a little barbecue sauce too.

busydev

Post Wed, Jul 14 2010, 2:25 pm
vegatable chicken

heat oil in frying pan. (cover the bottom liberally)
rub paprika onto chicken peices.
Brown the chicken in the oil- first the "top" down then flip it and do the bottom (about 5 min each side- until golden)
cut up slices of pepper (diff colors), some onion, tomatoes (you can add veggies you like- or not use what you dont like. tho peppers give the most flavor.)
Place veggie slices on to the top of the chicken
add water till it cover about 3/4 of the chicken.
once water boils lower to a simmer and cover.
cook for 1 1/2 hours
yum!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 14 2010, 2:44 pm
fiddle wrote:
something plain is spice chicken, salt garlic powder and paprika, with sweet potatoes. very delicious but simple.

or ketchup with honey

or also a spiced chicken but with 1/3 cup oil 1 tablespoon onion powder, garlic powder, and salt and 2 tablespoons of paprika brushed on the chicken

Do you mean 1 Tbsp combined of onion powder, garlic powder and salt?

mammele26

Post Wed, Jul 14 2010, 2:44 pm
I have a recipe that I call 'ketchup chicken'. It's not fancy but it is delicious (imo). And you've probably never had an easier chicken recipe.

In a pot put water so that when you add the chicken it should cover it halfway. I don't know how much you're making so I'll try to give you the idea and you take it from there. For one chicken (quartered or in eighths), add 1-2 onions circle sliced (I usually put in 2), and skwirt in about 3/4 cup ketchup (mabe a little more). If you're using a roomy pot you can put more ketchup if you want. Let it cook for about an hour and a half. The sauce is delicious over rice. And because the onion isn't cut into too small pcs, it's easier to get sauce without onions for whoever wants it that way. Make sure not to put too much water in the pot, because then the sauce will be too thin and have less flavor. Sometimes I turn the chicken while it cooks so that top and bottom take in the flavor and the top should be nice and moist too .

fiddle

Post Wed, Jul 14 2010, 2:54 pm
ra_mom wrote:
fiddle wrote:

or ketchup with honey

or also a spiced chicken but with 1/3 cup oil 1 tablespoon onion powder, garlic powder, and salt and 2 tablespoons of paprika brushed on the chicken

Sorry I wasn't so cear. 1 tbls. Of each

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 14 2010, 3:00 pm
fiddle wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
fiddle wrote:

or ketchup with honey

Sorry I wasn't so cear. 1 tbls. Of each
Thanks. I like a lot of salt, but thought that 1 Tbsp or regular salt (vs Kosher salt) sounded a bit much.

Hippi Dippi

Post Wed, Jul 14 2010, 3:17 pm
Wow! Thank you all for the quick responses! Now I just have to decide which recipe to choose!

fiddle

Post Wed, Jul 14 2010, 3:23 pm
wow, just checked the recipe to make sure. ra-mom its 1 tsp salt. sorry for the mistake I will edit the original post. thanks Smile

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 14 2010, 4:09 pm
fiddle wrote:
wow, just checked the recipe to make sure. ra-mom its 1 tsp salt. sorry for the mistake I will edit the original post. thanks Smile
Thanks so much! Looks delicious and I would love to try it.

smilethere

Post Thu, Jul 15 2010, 5:50 am
I often use recipes that call for baking, on the stove, and it tastes delicious.

The most easy chicken and very tasty:

Dice an onion, place in pot with some oil, place chicken pieces on top. Sprinkle them with salt, pepper and plenty of paprika. Cover, cook on a low flame for 1 1/2 hours. Don't uncover during cooking.

Tasty, soft, and typical shabbos chicken...

RachelEve14

Post Thu, Jul 15 2010, 7:49 am
I cut up root veggies and pour in a bit of broth (water will work if you don't have broth) and cook it on low for a while. Spice the chicken garlic, paprika, etc.

Sounds yummy!

If you are not going ot have a meat oven long term (or even if you are) I suggest buying a crockpot. They are not that much and I make great roast chicken in it. YUM.

yOungM0mmy

Post Thu, Jul 15 2010, 10:17 am
I haven't had a meat oven ever, been married 5 years. I do chicken on the stove every week. spray oil/1 tbsp oil on the bottom of the pan, add paprika. Place chicken pieces in upside down, brown, and turn over. Sprinkle some more paprika, and garlic powder. Pour over any kind of chicken/duck/bbq sauce. Add cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes to taste, and water to come approx half way up the chicken. Cover, bring to the boil, lower flame a little bit and cook 45 mins-1 hour or more, until very soft.
Actually just did a cooking demonstration, and did this recipe - big hit Smile

ETA - sometimes throw in some frozen green beans or brocolli at the end, or can add sliced potatoes as well for a full meal.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey