Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How many names does Hashem have??

supermom

Post Sat, Jun 10 2006, 4:41 pm
This is a really strange question but, my father in law just came back from belguim with a magazine that was full of diamonds of every shape and color that I can think of. One of the diamonds was made by an arab that he put the amount of cuts into the diamond as the amount of names that allah has.

It got me thinking they have at least what 1000 names to their god but I don't even know how many names Hashem has. So anyone know?!?!? We were debating on it and came up with many dead ends.

chen

Post Sat, Jun 10 2006, 10:13 pm
supermom wrote:
This is a really strange question but, my father in law just came back from belguim with a magazine that was full of diamonds of every shape and color that I can think of. One of the diamonds was made by an arab that he put the amount of cuts into the diamond as the amount of names that allah has.

It got me thinking they have at least what 1000 names to their god but I don't even know how many names Hashem has. So anyone know?!?!? We were debating on it and came up with many dead ends.

part of the trouble is that we use euphemisms, since we avoid saying His name, and those "kinuyyim" eventually become equivalent to His name, too.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Jun 10 2006, 10:27 pm
HaShem has 7 Heileige Names that cannot be erased.

supermom

Post Sun, Jun 11 2006, 2:42 am
Seven names shock I didn't even know that and we can't erase them either shock Like what??

Motek

Post Sun, Jun 11 2006, 10:01 am
here, read this (though I don't vouch for the accuracy):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adonai

(yes, I know Hashem's name is written in that url)

faigie

Post Sun, Jun 11 2006, 2:34 pm
easily over 72 ...........no 80.........

chen

Post Mon, Jun 12 2006, 10:35 pm
Motek wrote:

(yes, I know Hashem's name is written in that url)

not a problem of shaimos b/c it isn't a written word unless you print it out. the data on the computer are in the form of an array of 0's and 1's, not letters.

supermom

Post Tue, Jun 13 2006, 5:45 am
If Hashem has so many names, why is it allowed to say his name in vain? Like for example in that website it is written that shalom, adon olam, and many more that I can't even remember why are we allowed to say those names like it is nothing.

chen

Post Tue, Jun 13 2006, 7:35 am
supermom wrote:
If Hashem has so many names, why is it allowed to say his name in vain? Like for example in that website it is written that shalom, adon olam, and many more that I can't even remember why are we allowed to say those names like it is nothing.

those aren't really "names", they are "kinuyyim" which are for lack of a better term "nicknames". we have to have some way to refer to Him, so we use His attributes, like HoRachamon, the merciful, Ribbono Shel Olom, Master of the Universe, Kol Yochol, the Omnipotent, and so on.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics