Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
My sons getting tubes in his ear for the 4th time

estibesty

Post Tue, Jul 27 2010, 10:27 pm
my poor 4 yr old he had tubes when he was 2 twice they fell out after a few weeks so the dr. went and took his adenoids out bec. he felt like they where pushing the tubes out now the tubes fell out after 3 months and so we went back because he still having popped eardrum and a hard time hearing and he scheduled tube surgery for next week im feeling like forget it just give up but my dh is insistent he needs it

BoomChickaPop

Post Tue, Jul 27 2010, 10:39 pm
may this be the last time, refuah shlaima...

WriterMom

Post Tue, Jul 27 2010, 10:41 pm
Ugh, what a nightmare. I've never had to deal with this so know very little about it. I remember, though, that one of my sisters had this situation as a small child, and my parents went back and forth for ages about what to do, some doctors wanted to do invasive things, some said she's have hearing damage ... and she totally outgrew it, no problems whatsoever since about 6 years of age. Good luck, may it turn out the same for your son!

estibesty

Post Tue, Jul 27 2010, 10:48 pm
I was just debating if I should do it again if it falls out so quick by him the dr. is just such a top dr.a nd he thinks he needs it again. hopefully after this hell outgrow the problem

curlytop

Post Tue, Jul 27 2010, 11:05 pm
What does the dr think will be different this time?

motherinisrael

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 12:29 pm
I dont mean to stir any pots here ,but if I were you I would get on the internet and search for alternatives. I do believe there are many.
There is a frum homeopathic doctor who posted the following:
http://health.groups.yahoo.com.....e/716
Personally I have never used homeopathy, but I think he is right about trying to avoid the tubes.
refuah shleima!
I will ask around and post alternatives.

drumjj

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 12:49 pm
my daughter who is 17 months is having them put in next week, im hoping the same thing doesnt happen.
I hope urs work out this time

MrsDash

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 1:40 pm
I had to get tubes put in a few times when I was younger. My parents were afraid that my hearing would be impaired, but to this day, my hearing is better than most.

Wishing your son a swift and easy recovery! Hope all goes well!

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 3:52 pm
I strongly recommend that you get your son tested for allergies to milk, dust and gluten.

There are studies that show a strong correlation between mucous in the ear and allergies.

Last edited by amother on Wed, Dec 30 2015, 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Isher

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 6:25 pm
If the dr thinks that tubes are still needed I would do it again, but, ask the dr what he would do / or if there's anything to do different this time so it shouldn't fall out. My sons speech is delayed due to having had fluid in his ears. Since my kids tend to have wax in their ears whenever I visit the ped I ask that they check the ears so that if there's any wax to have it removed. The dr. kept on saying that there's some fluid but didn't tell me that I should have it checked out by an ent. Long story short, his hearing was impaired and speech extremely delayed. He did get tubes and have his adenoids removed before Pesach and bh his hearing has improved and his speech is slowly developing.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 6:39 pm
Dr. Allen Goldstein is an ENT in forest hills. He takes medicaid.

I know a number of people who used him. In cases of fluid in the ear, he sometimes told mothers to take child off all dairy, and in one case told mother to take child off all wheat.

If your child needs tubes, do it. However, you can prevent the need in future by taking him off of dairy products.

Last edited by amother on Wed, Dec 30 2015, 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

estibesty

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 7:27 pm
thanx I guess well go into the surgery and hope for the best! I HAVE HEARD THAT about allergies and fluid im wondering if I should bother cuz all my kids eats is cerreal and milk all the time

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 7:38 pm
Even if your doctor is THE top expert, get a 2nd opinion. Maybe a 3rd. My son was misdiagnosed by two top notch ENTs. You never know. It's good to get a fresh perspective.

Anyhow, if you do go through with the tubes again hope they stay in place and this will be the last time.

Mindysamom

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 8:32 pm
im a big fan of homeopathy. Ive seen amazing results(eczema going away... Not being tired all the time. lower blood pressure... insomnia cured... colic no more...) My sis had a neighbor whos son was almost gonna have tubes put into his ears. my sis begged her to take him off milk. she claimed it was to hard. then it her what it means to put your child to sleep vs. helping the actual problem. she ended up taking him to a homeopath and taking him off milk and a couple of other things. his ear infections are gone and he never needed the tubes. Please dont just willingly go along with this surgery just cuz the dr. said. Try alternative medicine first... Just make sure the person you go to is highly recommended. there are a lot of fakes out there...
Good luck and a quick refuah shleimah

WriterMom

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 8:42 pm
I'm am really wary of diagnosing on imamother, but ... I would try taking the milk out of his diet too. It's a huge factor for mucus in the ears and sinuses. Not that you should not do what your doctor says, but taking him off milk for a week or two ... there is no POSSIBLE harm beyond the fuss if he wants milk (and there are so many alternatives, chocolate soy milk might appease him!) and a great deal of potential benefit. Good luck!

Rodent

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 8:53 pm
It's not always dairy so don't rely on it.

My 2nd son was dairy free for other reasons (stomach issues). As a result our eldest was also virtually dairy free because it was just easier. They both had bad glue ear and #2 had lots of infections. They had grommets/tubes put in because their hearing was impaired and they had speech delays. There is family history and likely they just genetically have very narrow tubes that don't drain well. I haven't bothered making #3 dairy free, I don't believe that to be his issue. He gets grommets/tubes next week.

I only say this as I don't agree that she should wait and see what happens if he can have them put in faster. While waiting for them go ahead, when they're in to prevent any other issues fine (though falling out happens, it's unlikely related, and falling out this last time after 3 months may be for a completely different reason than when he was younger also). But waiting a few months to see what happens and risking hearing and speech issues worsening in a child that is already 4 doesn't sound like the ideal solution for me.

drumjj

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 3:45 am
I agree with rodent about the milk, my daughter has been off milk and soya since she was six months old she is now 17 months old and has been to the hearing services about five times since she was eight months and each time her hearing has got worse due to more fluid building up in the ear. and she has a total dairy free diet so it has nothing to do with having milk.
she is having gromits/tubes put in next month.

bnm

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 4:01 am
did you have him checked for reflux? I've heard of a few cases already that silent reflux was causing ear infections.

saw50st8

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 6:29 am
Have you tried a chiropractor? We just started DS on one because at 10 months old he's had 5 ear infections. We are trying to avoid tubes.

estibesty

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 8:36 am
I never went to the chiropractor with this kid bec. I did with my older guy and it did Not do much good in my opinion thou some ppl SWEAR by it (esp dr. carman)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics