Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Homemade pasta

natmichal

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 10:25 am
I was given a pasta machine and have some questions.

1- when cooking pasta, it says in the instruction booklet (and on various place on the net) that the cooking time is very short- between 30 seconds to 2 minutes (depending on the source and of course the thickness of the pasta). However, I had the feeling that it came out a bit "munchy". Is it because I over cook? undercook? do not have the "right" type of flour (I use 70% whole wheat)?

2- I also made lasagna. Again, I did not bother putting it in the oven for as long as with regular store bough non fresh lasagna sheets, but we had the very distinct feeling it was not cooked. Does the cooking time differ with lasagna? I was under the assumption that is the fresh pasta is supposed to cooki very quickly then I shouldn't over bake it.

Please help. I'm thrilled with my new toy but it is not worth much if it doesn't come out tasty....

natmichal

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 10:30 pm
Bump.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jul 30 2010, 7:54 am
I never made my own pasta as dh forbid it, said I had enough to do. I suggest you googleFresh Pasta recipes and see what comes up.

I DO remember that fresh pasta cooks differently than dried, though,.

louche

Post Fri, Jul 30 2010, 8:57 am
Food connosooers say pasta should be cooked al dente--Italian for "a little bit munchy" Wink --but you're the ones who have to eat it. If you like it softer, cook a bit longer. Who cares what the connoisseurs say?

natmichal

Post Sat, Jul 31 2010, 11:28 am
louche wrote:
Food connosooers say pasta should be cooked al dente--Italian for "a little bit munchy" Wink --but you're the ones who have to eat it. If you like it softer, cook a bit longer. Who cares what the connoisseurs say?

That's the whole thing- we usually cook our regular pasta al dente. here it come out with a raw dough feeling- as in not cooked. but if I cook it longer I think it will just get over soft.
Maybe I should dry leaving it to dry longer before cooking.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics