Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
19 year old girl with hair thinning

peacemom

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 3:32 am
My 19 yr old dd hair has been slowly thinning for the last 2 years. It is not the patchy type of thinning , but where the hair has gotten so thin you can kind of see into her scalp already. This is causing her much aggravation. She is heathy b"h, good weight, normal regular girl. Tried using monoxidyl (rogaine). Hasn't helped too much, but she uses it only on and off-makes her hair look a little oily.She takes vitamins with zinc. Anyone have any suggestions?

fiddle

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 3:38 am
My hair started thinning at around 17. I found that if I blow dried it, it gave it a fuller healthier look. I also figured out which hairstyles did me justice and which didn't. Wore it high up in a bun with curls coming out all over, messy bun, but you couldn't ever tell. And by my wedding I figured out which style would suit my thinning hair, and had the length to use, and ended up with a beautiful updo. And now, I thank god there's such a thing as hair coverings Smile

dlj

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 3:43 am
Have you seen the Dr about it? In the UK, Dermatologists tend to deal with hair loss issues and can determine if it is scarring/non-scarring alopecia etc, and whether any treatment would benefit. If memory serves me correctly, they can give steroid injections into scalp (sounds horrible but probably works) in certain circumstances.

mricci

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 4:22 am
take her to a doctor. it could be alopecia, something related to hormone levels, or some other treatable condition. one of dh's sisters had this problem, and in her case it was due to an overactive thyroid. the doctor gave her meds for the thyroid issue, and it started growing back.

Tweedledee

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 9:06 am
thr trouble with a diagnoss of alopecia is that its meaningless. alopecia is medical term for hairloss, any kind. you don't need a doctor t tell you when you're losing your hair. have been having this problem since I was fifteen. I am now twenty five. one dermatologist did a scalp biopsy plus a lab analysis of the fallen hair. the diagnosis froomthe lab? alopecia with irritated dermis. in other words, I was losing my hair and my scalp was itchy. shkoyach.

they never found the reason because its one of those symptoms that can be caused by o may different things that once it starts, somethig else can keep it going. I went to all kinds of doctors. there are lots of things you an use to camaflouge it though. there's one thing y frend uses that you sprinke on the hir and it stricks t it ike magnets thickening the strands and conceal the scalp. works pretty well. a shrter haircut is better also beuse it doesn't weigh down the scalp and lets the hair fluff up. I wish I had better sutions for you. my hairlos stabelizd when I was aout twenty two, but whenever have a realy stressful period in life, like after a birth, or finncial trubles, it starts up again for a couple of weeks.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 12:01 pm
My daughter has had that for a few years. She's 20 now. Her dermatologist didn't help her at all.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics