Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
"Siman Tov" on the radio?

elf123

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 11:12 pm
Okay, now I'm starting to think I may REALLY be losing it. The other day, I was with my kids at a Supercuts, when suddenly, on the radio playing in the background, I could swear I heard some kind of hip-hop singer singing "Siman Tov U'mazel Tov," or at least those were the words in the chorus, and the rest of the song was some kind of nonsensical crazy party music. It was on for a good few minutes, and my ears perked up at first, but I am almost sure I heard correctly. So now I have been trying to Google it to figure out what I actually heard, and I am coming up with nothing! So I am turning to all you Imamothers to help me solve this earth-shattering mystery.....

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 11:59 pm
And I once heard a complete song (kain bakodesh) which I later learned was matisyahu. How alarming. Followed by Michael Jackson and Kelly Clarkson.

levial

Post Wed, Sep 02 2009, 1:51 pm
Yes, you did. I think it says something about fill up my cup and drink, Mazel tov. It's the Black-eyed Peas singing "I gotta feeling"

A dear conservative friend from back in the day reminded me when "Celebrate Good Times, C'mon" was the theme of every Bar Mitzvah in our hood and this is just the update.....

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Sep 02 2009, 2:58 pm
I was a bit startled to hear the Piamentas' Asher Bara (instrumental) on the radio. Didn't know who got it from whom...

ss321

Post Wed, Sep 02 2009, 4:12 pm
fayge wrote:
I was a bit startled to hear the Piamentas' Asher Bara (instrumental) on the radio. Didn't know who got it from whom...

uh...you mean you were surprised to hear men at work's land down under dubbed with jewish words Wink
Piamenta "borrowed" it from men at work. dont know if they asked or not, not my business.

Simarik ("kiss" apparently) by Tarkan is an arabic tune that sounds vaguely familiar too.
kol hamesameach anyone?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRsyyBFcHYQ

fmt4

Post Wed, Sep 02 2009, 4:21 pm
Omg! The same thing happened to me and my husband, we were listening to the radio and all of a sudden we hear "mazel tov!" We're like what??? Ya, it's by the Black Eyed Peas, these are the exact lyrics:

Fill up my cup (Drank)
Mazel tov (La chaim)
Look at her dancing (Move it Move it)
Just take it... OFF
Lets paint the town (Paint the town)
We'll shut it down (Shut it down)
Lets burn the roof (Woooooo)
And then we'll do it again

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Sep 02 2009, 5:49 pm
Yeah, it was The Land Down Under.
I love it when chasuna bands launch into all the old Hanna Barbera goodies (and the younger ones don't have a clue).
There's a song on Baruch Learns His Brachos that's ttto Leaving on a Jet Plane. There's a whole generation that missed out on the last of the good music Wink

pobody's nerfect

Post Wed, Sep 02 2009, 6:17 pm
to continue the topic, a few years ago around Chanuka time there was a top 10 song in england called "Hava Nageela, Baby Let's Dance"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF2p87nvsjU

disturbed?

ss321

Post Wed, Sep 02 2009, 6:29 pm
nobody's perfect- not really...hava nagila is an israeli folk song.

dana international singing d'ror yikra on the world stage at eurovision OTOH - that is mildly disturbing, just considering the meaning and source of the song itself.

but then again, I am also mildly disturbed by the idea that it is ok for jewish singers in the frum world to "plagarize" tunes. I mean, coldplay was like ripped to pieces last summer for supposedly "copying" the tune they used for viva la vida from an old song called (get this) "the songs I didnt write." I dont think its true, the melody is pretty "generic" but still. why is this practice allowed?

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Sep 02 2009, 7:59 pm
ss321 wrote:
nobody's perfect- not really...hava nagila is an israeli folk song.

dana international singing d'ror yikra on the world stage at eurovision OTOH - that is mildly disturbing, just considering the meaning and source of the song itself.

but then again, I am also mildly disturbed by the idea that it is ok for jewish singers in the frum world to "plagarize" tunes. I mean, coldplay was like ripped to pieces last summer for supposedly "copying" the tune they used for viva la vida from an old song called (get this) "the songs I didnt write." I dont think its true, the melody is pretty "generic" but still. why is this practice allowed?

I heard it was from the late thirties, Chassidishe, a big chizuk type song.

ss321

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 6:30 am
Fayge-
AFAIK, no:
http://www.radiohazak.com/Havahist.html

pomegranate

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 10:19 pm
pobody's nerfect wrote:
to continue the topic, a few years ago around Chanuka time there was a top 10 song in england called "Hava Nageela, Baby Let's Dance"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF2p87nvsjU

disturbed?

she reminds me of Ashley Tisdale Smile

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Aug 17 2010, 9:17 pm
I LOVE dror yikra to sloop john b.

nothing like elevating the mundane with the holy!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics