Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Rabbinical approval not to live in EY

Tamiri

Post Sat, Aug 21 2010, 1:58 pm
Are the Rabbis who decide that you don't need to be in EY sharing their Hashkafa or paskening halacha? Somehow the lines between Hashkafa and Halacha are being blurred.

Zus

Post Sat, Aug 21 2010, 2:08 pm
I think the lines are blurred most of the time.

Tamiri

Post Sat, Aug 21 2010, 2:09 pm
Zus wrote:
I think the lines are blurred most of the time.
Hey, did you read about Rav Amital this Shabbat too? There were some great articles Very Happy

Zus

Post Sat, Aug 21 2010, 3:27 pm
No I didn't.

ora_43

Post Sat, Aug 21 2010, 6:53 pm
Tamiri wrote:
Are the Rabbis who decide that you don't need to be in EY sharing their Hashkafa or paskening halacha? Somehow the lines between Hashkafa and Halacha are being blurred.

What are the lines between hashkafa and halacha supposed to be?

I think the two are inherently intertwined.

Tova

Post Sat, Aug 21 2010, 9:27 pm
Of course. I'd go so far as to say that the families of our hashkafah who discuss this with Rabbanim are focusing entirely on hashkafic considerations (after all, they are asking Rabbanim who live in the U.S. Wink )

Incidentally, of the 3 reasons why we have not made the move to Israel, the top 2 would not be issues if my husband was not in kollel/klei kodesh (meaning, if he was working and I was not (or minimally) it would be much much more clear cut that we should move). [The third reason is a chinuch consideration but with some research we would probrably find what we were looking for - I have been told that there is a segment of Israeli chareidi society that is moving towards that direction.]

Tamiri

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 12:04 am
ora_43 wrote:
Tamiri wrote:

Isn't that a problem? A Rav is supposed to give a psak based on Halacha. If his hashkafa comes into play... is he still paskening according to dry halacha alone? What do we say about judges who seemingly allow their own political views and personal feelings to affect their judgements. Is this any different?

chavamom

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 2:35 am
Everyone we have talked to has said, "I won't say it's assur, could never say it's assur, but my opinion is....." I don't think it's an issue of hashkafa or halacha, but eitza tova.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 2:58 am
I guess there are many Rabbanim in chu"l with good eitzes.

chavamom

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 3:21 am
Tamiri wrote:
I guess there are many Rabbanim in chu"l with good eitzes.

Since you implying that I asked those that live in chu'l, I just want to point out that you are mistaken. All we have spoken with live in Israel.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 3:38 am
We've already summarized that those who ask a Rabbi and get a response have done the right thing for themselves. The onus is upon the Rabbi to make the right decision for those who ask.

chavamom

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 3:40 am
Good thing they explained their reasoning and it seemed like good advice. Not what I wanted to hear, but sound advice.

ora_43

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 3:47 am
Tamiri wrote:
ora_43 wrote:
Tamiri wrote:

Isn't that a problem? A Rav is supposed to give a psak based on Halacha. If his hashkafa comes into play... is he still paskening according to dry halacha alone? What do we say about judges who seemingly allow their own political views and personal feelings to affect their judgements. Is this any different?

I think "hashkafa" is often used to describe a person's overall approach, with a focus on certain issues. So for example, if someone believes aliyah/living in Israel is a mitzva of utmost importance, IDF service is a mitzva, and it's more important to have as many people as possible keeping kosher than to make the standard of kosher higher, that would probably be described as a "dati leumi hashkafa." But all of those things are halachic issues. So basically it seems that the way people interpret halacha on 7-8 key issues (eg. aliyah, IDF service, secular studies, family planning, kashrut) becomes their "hashkafa."

In which case you can't separate hashkafa from halacha because you're defining a person's hashkafa based on where they hold halachically. (Could a rabbi who doesn't believe that a person living in chu'l is obligated to make an effort to find a way to live in Israel ever be described as a dati leumi rabbi, for instance?)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics