Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Kid dreads taking his medication

havefaith

Post Mon, Aug 23 2010, 9:53 pm
my three yr old got diagnosed with a double ear infection today. I tried to give him his medicine in his sleep bec. otherwise he wouldnt take it. I put a little in his mouth and he started kvetching and he spit it out. I promised him and showed him a candy which usually he would get excited for but this time he just said I dont want it. so how should I give it to him it looks disgusting and this poor thing has to take it. I wonder if it tastes that horrible too.

shanie5

Post Mon, Aug 23 2010, 10:47 pm
mix it in with a spoonful of applesauce, ice cream, or s/t your child really likes.

mama2many

Post Mon, Aug 23 2010, 10:51 pm
Would a sticker chart work better?? I'm assuming he needs to take it twice/three times a day for 7-10 days??? I'd make a short chart, get some really sparkly stickers, and set a bunch of different surprises for X amount of stickers/good medicine-taking behavior. Maybe a trip to the dollar store to get a bunch of small prizes (wrap them up and let him pick one out every other day??) to begin with and at the end of all the medicine a trip for ice cream or something else. I'll also assume it's not the "pink bubble gum" medicine that my children complain about when they DON"T get to take it. Smile Good luck.

mamommommy

Post Mon, Aug 23 2010, 11:07 pm
shanie5 wrote:
mix it in with a spoonful of applesauce, ice cream, or s/t your child really likes.

I give it to my dd in a cup of soda. Lucky her!

marina

Post Mon, Aug 23 2010, 11:07 pm
google "compounding pharmacy" in your area, a compounding pharmacy can make the medication in other forms and flavors. Lollypops, creams, etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics