Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
COOKING FOR A CHASUNAH - HELP!!
Previous  1  2

sneakermom

Post Mon, Aug 23 2010, 12:21 pm
The wild rice recipe with craisins is delicious and can be made in advance.

Anything with flaky dough and filling like little knishes, or sweet potato filling.

couscous can be delicious too you can make it into a kind of salad. (Have a recipe somewhere with curry, raisins, vinegar, scallions etc.

I like the idea of mini meatballs you can make the ones in cranberry sauce - delicious.

Maybe spicy chicken wings?

You can also make stir fry with thin strips of meat fried into it and a sauce with some sort of soy and cornstarch to make it juicy.

farfal is easy, and a good filler.

sesame chicken pieces.

YALT

Post Mon, Aug 23 2010, 1:08 pm
I just attended a "wedding-like" sheva brachos and the first course was a 2-in-1.
It was a plate with a bit of salad on it and 3-4 pieces of stringbeans across 1 side and in the middle was a goblet of a cold potato soup. It was really good (this coming from someone who doesn't eat potatoes)

But if you're in South America, you can probably still do a nice hot soup.

elmos

Post Mon, Aug 23 2010, 1:48 pm
here are some nice "cheap" salads to make I will post ideas if you need recipes let me know
sesame noodles
corn salad
bean salad (canned beans onions bottled dressing)
cabbage salad
cole slaw
veggie salad
israeli salad
tomato salad
pasta spinch salad
rice salad
cucumber salad
cornzo salad
tricolor pasta salad
stir fry in the oven
a nice side dish is the zuchini kugel from kosher pallate or carrot muffins or you can do a large pan but I find minatures make a buffet look so nice bourekas are nice to with potato or veggie fillings.
mazaltov I will be happpy to supply rcipes for anything I posted

yummydd

Post Mon, Aug 23 2010, 2:01 pm
Potatoe Kugel is an all time favorite (mine for sure) you can make individual ones in cupcases.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Aug 23 2010, 5:58 pm
as a caterer, I will tell you what the most important thing I learned when I did my first function.

keep it simple. simple does not mean yucky or not tasty, or not elegant. simple means, it is easier to do more of fewer things than fewer of more things.

if you are not careful about how you plan, you will have a false sense of economy. also, cooking for 100 ppl is a lot of work by itself, so I hope you have plenty of help.

feel free to pm me. being a good cook is not enough. you have to manage the project well. I will be happy to advise you just for the mitzvah of it.

Tweedledee

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 6:15 pm
Stunning EASY recipe from my mother's brillant mind. serve it hot as an elegant side dish or cold as a beautiful and healthful dessert.
only two ingredients.
bosc or bartlette pears and wholeberry cranberry sauce

halve the pears lengthwise, remove the core with a melon baller.

fill the cavity generously with the cranberrysauce. lay out on baking sheets and bake on 375 until the juices from the sauce which have run out have caramelized on the bottom of the pan. if in doubt, leave it in a bit longer. it won't do any harm.

hope this helps. it looks gorgeous. garnish with some whipped cream on the side if you like.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics