Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Watermelon Sorbet?

Ima'la

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 8:20 am
Long shot...

I once clipped (I'm sure I clipped it! Um, I think...) a recipe for watermelon sorbet - it must have been from Hamodia or Mishpacha...maybe Binah. It was a long time ago - at least a year....

Anyone know what I'm talking about - or have a similar type of recipe that will use up the not-so-great (but not awful) watermelon that no one is eating and which is taking up more than its fair share of valuable real estate in my fridge?

Thanks!!!

Hashemlovesme

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 8:27 am
I don't have a recipe on hand but earlier this season I made sorbet w/ a HUGE watermelon that tasted ok, maybe a bit overripe & the sorbet tasted like overripe watermelon & most got thrown out. So please be careful! I don't want it to be a huge waste of ingredients for you. p.s. I got the recipe on line recipes.com maybe.

Ima'la

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 2:09 pm
Thanks for the warning. Guess I'll probably just dump it then. I see you're the one who started the other "watermelon sorbet" thread that I noticed at the bottom of the screen right after I posted mine - so I guess you probably used the recipe there.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 2:18 pm
Make watermelon margaritas with it! We did that for my SIL's 21st bday and it was fantastic. The leftovers I froze and then put in the food processor then refroze and processed. Awesome alcholic slushie!

grin

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 2:19 pm
I've noticed that watermelon (even not the tastiest) gets eaten up a lot quicker if sliced into chunks and placed in the middle of the table, as opposed to sitting around in the fridge, waiting for a yeshua.

louche

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 2:37 pm
grin wrote:
I've noticed that watermelon (even not the tastiest) gets eaten up a lot quicker if sliced into chunks and placed in the middle of the table, as opposed to sitting around in the fridge, waiting for a yeshua.

LOL UR so right, and the same goes for any fruit.

For any fruit sorbet, puree the fruit, add an equal volume of water, sugar to taste, some lemon juice if the fruit tends to turn brown. Freeze in flat aluminum trays, brownie pans are ideal, take out every so often and mash with potato masher or fork, or process in blender to break up the ice crystals.

anonymrs

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 10:35 am
saw50st8 wrote:
Make watermelon margaritas with it! We did that for my SIL's 21st bday and it was fantastic. The leftovers I froze and then put in the food processor then refroze and processed. Awesome alcholic slushie!

Where's the watermelon margarita recipe??

Chocoholic

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 10:36 am
DON'T mix watermelon (juice) with alcohol

saw50st8

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 10:57 am
anonymrs wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:

I'll post it later. Its at home.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 10:58 am
louche wrote:
grin wrote:

LOL UR so right, and the same goes for any fruit.

For any fruit sorbet, puree the fruit, add an equal volume of water, sugar to taste, some lemon juice if the fruit tends to turn brown. Freeze in flat aluminum trays, brownie pans are ideal, take out every so often and mash with potato masher or fork, or process in blender to break up the ice crystals.

I find the easiest way is to freeze in a food processor, then after its frozen, remove from freezer, defrost for a few minutes and reprocess. Repeat until its the sorbet structure.

anonymrs

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 11:30 am
saw50st8 wrote:
anonymrs wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:

I'll post it later. Its at home.

Thanks! Sounds yum!

LisaS

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 2:25 pm
I made watermelon sorbet once. It was delicious but a lot of work.

First we removed ALL the seeds, at least all the black or big ones.

Then push all the fruit through a small-net strainer, and only save the juice for the sorbet. The pulp set aside to snack on.

I can't remember if I added water to the watermelon juice. Have to look up the recipe from some random website.

Then when froze it, whip it up with a fork a few times during freezing.

Was delicious!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics