Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
When do you pierce your daughters' ears?
Previous  1  2  3

When do you pierce your daughters' ears?
I don't (plan to)  
 6%  [ 6 ]
0 - 3 months  
 29%  [ 28 ]
3 - 6 months  
 6%  [ 6 ]
6 - 12 months  
 5%  [ 5 ]
1-3 years  
 4%  [ 4 ]
3+ years  
 7%  [ 7 ]
When they get older/when they decide themselves they want earrings  
 38%  [ 37 ]
Other  
 2%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 95

amother

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 9:54 am
Never. We have a tendencey to keloid scars in our family. People who tend to scar like that should not get their ears peirced.

5S5Sr7z3

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 10:00 am
Plonis wrote:
How do you know it hurts more when they're older?

I'm waiting until Bas Mitzvah IY"H. (And if I have my way, having it done by an acupuncturist. I hear that piercings in the wrong place can affect your eyes.)

It's not just the earrings - I had multiple infections because of allergic reactions to my earrings. OUCH!

Because I've gotten more piercings as a teen....

Ruchel

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 10:15 am
My parents see ear rings as some kind of mutilation hence barely tolerated and "not for us", they also don't like the idea of pain and maybe even blood just for looks.

I pierced mine as an adult, for my 25th bday. It took almost one year to heal and caused tons of problems. I'm lucky because now I wear almost what I want, some ladies never able to wear a lot of materials (like my grandma, or my pharmacist who has to wear rings just enough to keep the holes open and has crazy reactions when she does).
I did it so late because it took time to convince dh it was fine, hashkafa wise. I'm still surprised he gave in Wink

I met a very nice bubbe type lady a few months after getting my ear rings. She told me I was adorable but pierced ears are a mum and I wouldn't have been able to marry into her family because of that. I laughed but I'm keeping this in mind for dd. If she wants her ears pierced before knowing who she will marry, she takes this risk. Not that many people disagree with it enough to not marry someone with pierced ears, but...

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 10:28 am
My parents made me wait until 9. We let our daughter do it at six (erev erev pesach) and two days later, she shattered her right leg. She was in the hospital for a number of days and there were only two times she fussed. Once was when she found out that we were not having a big fun seder in the hospital (because she had been working so hard on her stuff for the seder) and once when, in the prep room for surgery, they told her she had to remove her earrings that had been put in a couple of days before. we begged the medical staff to let her keep it (she had to go under anaesthesia to have her leg set) and they ended up taping them. not sure what the issue was there.

later, she had it closed too tightly and it grew around her earring hole, so now we only let her wear hoops, with studs only for special occasions.

sky

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 11:59 am
My DD is 9 months. I don't know when I'll do it. I'm going to see when is a good time for it.
But I don't like earings on Babies. I think babies look so cute and pure, and the earings detract.

mosma

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 3:12 pm
DD is only 5 weeks so I'm not sure yet, but just so everyone else knows, my father is a dermatologist and they say that after 7 years old there's a higher chance for cysts and infections. Try to do it earlier than that if you can.

MamaBird

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 3:31 pm
my mother made me wait till I was 12 for my bat mitzva. I was really upset because other girls in my class were all getting their ears pierced and I had to wait. dh and I decided we'd let our daughter decide. (she's now 2 1/2). whenever she's ready, she'll let us know. I don't want to put her through the agony of waiting just because mommy thinks she should. Tongue Out

MrsDash

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 5:52 pm
I couldn't handle my daughter getting shots, so earrings weren't exactly on the table. I'll wait until she's ready, and asks for it.

bashinda

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 9:19 pm
mama-star wrote:
I think babies with pierced ears look cute - it's not something I would do for my dd's personally though.

I read a letter once from the lubavitcher rebbe, he recommended to someone that they pierce their dd's ears at bas mitzva time. this makes it something special to honor the bas mitzva. so that is what I have decided to do. my oldest dd is 10 now and she can't wait! we are planning a special night together, just me and her, when we go get her ears pierced and have dinner together. Very Happy she says she wants to have her ears pierced 6 weeks prior to bas mitzva so her ears are all healed up and she can put in the earrings she wants for her special day.

ooh, I want to do that, although I highly suspect my oldest DD will not be interested. I'll ask her when she, iY"H, gets closer to bas mitzvah.

zigi

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 9:55 pm
dd is 5 and she is campaigning for them everyday, she wants pink shiny earnings.

laughter

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 9:56 pm
MY GIRLS GOT THEIR EARS PIERCED THE FIRST WEEK, I HAD SOMEONE COME DOWN TO MY HOUSE TO DO IT.
IT JUST ADDS A SPECIAL TOUCH!

bashinda

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 11:37 pm
to each their own.

My first dd's pediatrician actually thanked me for not getting her ears pierced. He said he says so many babies who end up with infection or who pull on the earrings.

I'm very into dressing baby girls in girly colors and I doubt that I would have gotten any less people confusing her for a baby boy if I had gotten her ears pierced. (most people didn't)

But then again, I got my ears pierced at 17. My guess is my 2nd DD will be asking for earrings before she's 6 and my first one will not even think to ask before she's 16.

SivanMom

Post Wed, Sep 01 2010, 9:23 am
I had always thought that I would let my daughter get hers done when she asked for it. Then, I was preparing her clothing for a simcha and I just got so in the mood, so I took her and got it done. She was 20 months old.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics